_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Me Crusader - Any problems with it?
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 10:58 AM UTC
Man! Work and real life is a pain in the

So Having built this crusader I suddenly find that all the camera skills I learned in the past, (a long time ago) are forgotten. So, I had to re-learn. Some tips from the photography forum here helped quite a bit. A particular thanks to Eric67.

Lesson one, forget flash! Go for natural light.
Unfortunately, The Company believes that all hours of natural light (and some hours of unnatural light), belongs to them at all times during weekdays and SWMBO deems that all hours of natural light (and some hours of unnatural light) at weekends are there solely for me to entertain her and the kiddies.

Lesson two, forget macro, go for long exposure. Cool, worked a treat even with strip lights. Can't wait for summer so I can try it with natural light... Only six months to go.

So here are some pics of my stolen hours of modelling and camera rehashing. Yeah I know I posted some of them before but this time you can actually see the thingies.

I didn't want to make it too dirty, just dusty.

The Churchill is pretty much the same. Greasy and slightly dirty but not muddy.

Critiques very welcome. I readily admit that have absolutely no artistic skills, all this was copied from other modellers... Thanks guys!
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,594 posts
Armorama: 973 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 12:04 PM UTC

Murdo......
Thats what I call ....SUBTLE!!
Niiice --straight out of the elephant shed
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
Armorama: 1,423 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 12:17 PM UTC
Hey Murdo
Feels good to once be of some assistance instead of the usual pain in the but :-) . Nice photos, I especially likes the Churchill. BTW here is a Model photo link I found the other day.

A short question: What kind of camera do you use?
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 12:21 PM UTC
You know, we really don't need to link to other sites to learn how to photograph our models. We have all we need HERE

Vinnie
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 12:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You know, we really don't need to link to other sites to learn how to photograph our models.

I know, Vinnie. I am so sorry. It will never happen again...

Erik
(Bows his head in shame)
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 12:32 PM UTC
Murdo
Very nice Crusader I love the weathering How is the kit to build?
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 12:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Murdo
Feels good to once be of some assistance instead of the usual pain in the but :-) . Nice photos, I especially likes the Churchill. BTW here is a Model photo link I found the other day.

A short question: What kind of camera do you use?

Hi Erik,

just got a Canon D60 Digital SLR from ebay for about £350. I LOVE IT!

I started playing with it a couple of months ago but fairly quickly switched from auto to fully manual. The results are so much better... Unless the thing I'm taking a picture of is moving faster than I can twiddle the dials. :-)

Generally it is set to full auto for quickly snatched shots but I'm re-discovering my love for taking photos'.

My first "proper" camera was a Fuji STX2 Manual SLR with a 28 - 200 zoom and it travelled the world with me, or at least everywhere the Army sent me. It was great in it's day and served me well. It really took a beating and kept on going.

However, 35mm x 36 exposure was great but expensive... Especially when taking pictures of my brats who invariably managed to (in the blink of an eye) shove a finger up a vacant nostril and back out again just as the shutter clicked. This was never, ever noticed till the pics came back from the developers.

It was really frustrating to find just ONE half decent photo from the lot.

DIGITAL CAMERAS ARE SUCH A GREAT ADVANCE! Hundreds of pics that can be almost instantly edited or deleted or added to the album. And if the photo is crap then hey, you can retake it within minutes! Fantastic!

Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 12:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Murdo
Very nice Crusader I love the weathering How is the kit to build?

Absolutely lovely kit! I'm no expert but I'd recommend it to anyone. Everything fitted exactly where it should.

Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 01:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You know, we really don't need to link to other sites to learn how to photograph our models. We have all we need HERE

Vinnie

This site takes up FAR too much of my precious modelling time!!! :-) :-) :-)

Oh, man, not more to read, swallow and digest.
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 01:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

just got a Canon D60 Digital SLR from ebay for about £350.

Welcome to the wonderfull world of Digital SLR. Just be sure to service it approx once a year. Dust have a tendency to mess up the pictures after a while. I had my thrusty Nikon on a tour in Afghanistan, and the camera brought half of the country back home. A quick service at the dealership fixed it.

Cheers
Erik
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 01:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

just got a Canon D60 Digital SLR from ebay for about £350.

Welcome to the wonderfull world of Digital SLR. Just be sure to service it approx once a year. Dust have a tendency to mess up the pictures after a while. I had my thrusty Nikon on a tour in Afghanistan, and the camera brought half of the country back home. A quick service at the dealership fixed it.

Cheers
Erik

Service it???
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 01:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Service it???

Take the Camera to a Canon dealership. They will do a service on the camera and clean out any "hard to get" dust. It is a bit like the service you get for your car. Make your camera live longer and ensure that the pictures come out great. Dust have a habit to get into the camera when you change the lens, and if you get it on the CMOS sensor you will see it as small, white dots on the picture.

Cheers
erik
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 01:46 PM UTC
Thanks Erik, I hope I never get too old to learn!
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 01:52 PM UTC
You are welcome
Just make sure to tilt the camera downwards (lense pointing to the ground) when you change lenses and it take care of the dust problem. You really don't need to service the camera every year, but watch out for those white spots.

Cheers
Erik
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 02:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You are welcome
Just make sure to tilt the camera downwards (lense pointing to the ground) when you change lenses and it take care of the dust problem. You really don't need to service the camera every year, but watch out for those white spots.

Cheers
Erik

(Groan), the exact opposite of what I do, I always tilt it up. How else can I see the connector? My ways will be mended!

Are you a professional photographer?
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 02:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Are you a professional photographer?

LoL. No mate. I learned it the hard way when I purchased my first digital SLR, but I like taking photos.

Erik

Edit: And BTW, I'm probably better with the technical gizmos on my camera, than actually taking the picture.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 03:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I didn't want to make it too dirty, just dusty.

Aye Murrdo (sorry, but everytime I see your name I want to roll the rrrrs;) I think you have achieved yourr objective of dusy not dirrty perrfectly
cheerrs
Brradley
 _GOTOTOP