_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Some more illicit modelling
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 11:17 AM UTC
Got some time to take pics of my dark secret. This time it's a British 25 pdr.

Again this is clean-ish and well used rather than dirty.

Bear in mid that I have the artistic skills of a dead sheep. I'm slowly progressing from slinging paint on with a trowel to pre-shading and washes etc.

This Gun hasn't had a wash or anything yet, It's just been painted as a scruffy, well used weapon. Washes next.

Critique very welcome...
ekke
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 285 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 11:31 AM UTC
LOL you ar definitely too harsh with your own painting skills!
The gun really looks nice, just as you described it: well used but not dirty or unkempt - which is quite a tightrope walk to master.
One or two washes and pinwashes would IMO improve the whole thing a little bit, so keep on testing an trying!

Greetings,

ekke
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
Armorama: 1,423 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 11:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bear in mind that I have the artistic skills of a dead sheep

Lol :-)
I think you have captured the 25 pdr. quiet good for a "dead sheep". Post some pictures when you have finished it. Looks exellent so far.

Cheers
Erik
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 11:48 AM UTC
If I may comment, you have apparently coloured the muzzle black. Is that nominally supposed to be a soot type deposit? If so, you might want to repaint it to match the rest of the gun as modern (incl WW II) propellants don't leave substantial soot deposits at the muzzle. What frequently appears as darker colouring in action photos is the lack of dust at the muzzle area making the area appear dark or sooty. The dust is, of course blown off by the firing of the gun. Again, in a photo where the entire gun tube appears a certain colour that has been lightened by a coating of dust, the dust free muzzles can appear quite dark.

Any minor soot deposits from even a very heavy action would be cleaned off within hours as sargents in artillery regiments love to have gunners spend the time immediately after a shoot cleaning out the barrels and tarting up the pieces, notwithstanding the gunners' desires to get some kip. :-)

Paul
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 11:51 AM UTC
Murdo,

Is that the fine tipped trowel? :-) :-) ,

You are way too harsh on yourself.... keep up the good work!

Frank
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 12:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...One or two washes and pinwashes...
ekke

Umm? "pinwash". That's a new one, what's a pin wash?

Thanks guys, but you haven't seen some of the disasters, I have a tendency to take a perfectly good preshade and turn it to an overall, uniform paint job. I'm beginning to think that I can't see shades and colours.

SWMBO honestly believes I can only see black, white red, blue and yellow. i.e. the primary colours.

She gets really hacked off that I don't see a difference in the shades of clothes she's wearing. Mind you, she gets a little bit miffed when I don't notice her new hair do. Hey, she has curly hair... How am I supposed to know she had 1/2 an inch cut of it???

Mind you, she got a bit huffy when I forgot her birthday as well...
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 12:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If I may comment, you have apparently coloured the muzzle black. Is that nominally supposed to be a soot type deposit? If so, you might want to repaint it to match the rest of the gun as modern (incl WW II) propellants don't leave substantial soot deposits at the muzzle. What frequently appears as darker colouring in action photos is the lack of dust at the muzzle area making the area appear dark or sooty. The dust is, of course blown off by the firing of the gun. Again, in a photo where the entire gun tube appears a certain colour that has been lightened by a coating of dust, the dust free muzzles can appear quite dark.

Any minor soot deposits from even a very heavy action would be cleaned off within hours as sargents in artillery regiments love to have gunners spend the time immediately after a shoot cleaning out the barrels and tarting up the pieces, notwithstanding the gunners' desires to get some kip. :-)

Paul

So it wouldn't be darkened even in action?
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,361 posts
Armorama: 268 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 01:05 PM UTC
I dunno - I've seen lots of photographs ot soot blackend barrels ww2 and modern, you should see the crud on the CIWS (close in wepons system) after it fires! Large naval guns have a large build up due to the propelants and the bags as well, as always check your sources- note the barrels-
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 01:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Murdo,

Is that the fine tipped trowel? :-) :-) ,

You are way too harsh on yourself.... keep up the good work!

Frank

Nah mate, chucked out the trowel and got meself a compressor and airbrush! SWMBO nearly had kittens! Especially the first time I turned the compressor on! I nearly had kittens myself!!!
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 01:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I dunno - I've seen lots of photographs ot soot blackend barrels ww2 and modern, you should see the crud on the CIWS (close in wepons system) after it fires! Large naval guns have a large build up due to the propelants and the bags as well, as always check your sources- note the barrels-

I mainly fired SLR and GPMG. They were well blackened with soot but... They were black to begin with.
 _GOTOTOP