_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Jagdtiger........
brno465
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 08:26 PM UTC
I'm up to painting my Henschell Jagdtiger, and after I applied a pre-shading coat of German Grey I noticed how much larger the thing looks - this contrasts to the Elefant I just finnished with a complicated camo pattern that visualy shrunk it - the grey realy does make it look as massive as it should.
OK, my question is that although I've found out that basic grey made a late-war resurgence on some JagdPanthers and Tiger IIs, I have not been able to find anything reliable to say it was used on any JagdTigers.
Can anyone tell me if a weathered grey finish on my JagdTiger will get me laughed out of my next club meeting......... :-) :-)
Any input appreciated
Tim
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 08:56 PM UTC
Sorry Tim, I don't recall reading anywhere that the Henschel Tiger sported an overall gray paint.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2002 - 12:54 AM UTC
I cannot prove it never happened, since I wans't there, but I think I remember reading that the late-late-late war all-grey big cats was a mistake caused by trying to interpret black and white photos.
There were orders for dark green basecoats, but even this seems to show up rarely in photos.

I know the basecoat/primer was a red oxide.
Some folks like the model master Rust color. Some add a bit of brown to the Tamiya Hull red. I use a couple of the Poly Scale Railroad colors, mineral red and another I can't remember the name of at the moment.

Mike
brno465
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2002 - 07:25 AM UTC
thanks for that - a shame because it does look good in grey :-)
One of the books I have that mentions late-war grey schemes has a very washed-out color picture of a JagdPanther that looks mottled grey, but after reading your reply MDL I've had a closer look and you can see a patern in the greys that almost matches the green/oxide/dark yellow one on Tamiyas late Jagdpanther box top. A trick of the light and early color film to blame i guess.
Tim
 _GOTOTOP