_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Testors Mighty Mini Airbrush
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,299 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 06:49 AM UTC
So I finally got around to finishing up my jagdtiger and my elefant. I busted out my new Testors Mighty Mini. Wow. What a great little AIrbrush. This little beast comes with an aircompressor, and extra paints. The paints included of course are of no use in WWII AFV's but great for testing. For only $69 CDN at Walmart, man u cant go wrong.

http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=2517

I recommend this to anyone from beginner to pro. Makes airbrushing fun.

Back to the bench
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,339 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 07:47 AM UTC
Hey Brian, I saw one of those at the hobby show last month.. Guy was painting up a storm... What kind of spray do you think you can get out of it.. Will it do a fairly fine line?

Dave
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,361 posts
Armorama: 268 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 07:54 AM UTC
Boy this guy didn't like it-
http://www.pricegrabber.com/rating_getprodrev.php/product_id=4797022/id_type=M
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,299 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 09:06 AM UTC
Mojo: You can do a pretty fine line. I was farting around with it abit and it holds its own. There are positions for the paint feed container. One is fors area spraying and the other is fine spraying. It also allows you to adjust the flow of paint. I am thrilled with it. It is abit loud (caused my pup to piss himself :-) ) , but what do you expect with a compressor. Cleanup is easy. Storage is great.

BM2: That guy seems just plain ol pissed. Perhaps a faulty or defective one. But opinions differ just like expectations.

I recommend it.

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 09:25 AM UTC
No idea how the Testors Mighty Mini is, but it sounds like the guy who reviewed it didn't have his paint mix right. It looks like the old, blue-bodied plastic Badger that I started on many moons ago, hooked up to an old tire for an air source. It actually came with the valve stem attachment for the tire too. Descent starter AB.

Any AB hooked straight up to a compressor will spit paint, especially if the paint is too thick. Unless you have an airtank attached, the pressure will not be constant and you will always have a pulsing action. That is how a compressor works. It has a piston that draws in air on the down stroke, then expells it on the up stroke.

You should still use an airtank to get consistent pressure with the Testors Mighty Mini as well. The key to a good finish with any AB is a constant flow of air.
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,339 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 05:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It is abit loud (caused my pup to piss himself :-) ) Cleanup is easy.

I hope the pup gets used to it... Thanks for the laugh Brian.. :-)

Dave
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 1,148 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 08:39 PM UTC
I bought the mighty just because of what was included with it. airbrush, comp etc. I had good days and bad days with mine. I finally had to upgrade after a short while as it would not work consistantly. i still use the same comp but with a different airbrush and it works ok. The mighty mini is almost all plastic and very prone to damage. It is great for a starter though.
 _GOTOTOP