_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
realistic gap filling?
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 725 posts
Armorama: 340 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 11:13 AM UTC
What do you guys use to fill the gaps left on things like handles on hatches where they meet the hatch? I've been usuing a extra thick super glue to simulate a welded effect but it's not exactly what I'm going for. Any ideas?
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 03:00 AM UTC
I like Mr Surfacer 500. It will fill small gaps and is soft enough when dry to be scraped away close to the mating surfaces if need be.

Paul
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 03:26 AM UTC
I'm not sure what you are getting at. But I think either method, yours or tankmodelers should work. I don't know why there would be a gap, but when I think of a handle, I am thinking of a very small thing
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 01:01 PM UTC
Blaster, I guess I should have clarified it better. Where handles and other items meet the hull there are small weld beads that hold the object to the hull. You find gaps in these areas on kits especially on older Tamiya kits. What I want to simulate is a smooth joint between the handle etc. to the hull. I just haven't hit the mark with thick super glue so I'm looking for something else. Hope you have some good ideas! Thanks!
jpzr
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 316 posts
Armorama: 270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 07:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Blaster, I guess I should have clarified it better. Where handles and other items meet the hull there are small weld beads that hold the object to the hull. You find gaps in these areas on kits especially on older Tamiya kits. What I want to simulate is a smooth joint between the handle etc. to the hull. I just haven't hit the mark with thick super glue so I'm looking for something else. Hope you have some good ideas! Thanks!

I have a simple solution: Get some Tamiya Extra Thin cement (best cement I've ever used) and apply a little more than you would to just normally bond parts, pressing down on the part helps as well as it creates a little bubble of melted plastic around the joint. This will melt a little more plastic than necessary, but that is fine. In fact, that's what you want. Let it stand for a minute or so (stuff dries pretty quickly), then with a sharp tip (I use a scribing tool) make small indentations around the base, simulating small weld beads. Works like a charm for those small little joints where you don't feel like breaking out the putty or similar method for replicating a weld bead.
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 01:19 PM UTC
I have a simple solution: Get some Tamiya Extra Thin cement

Sounds good. I'm pretty sure that my local store doesn't carry it. Do you know of anywhere it is available online?
jpzr
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 316 posts
Armorama: 270 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 09:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sounds good. I'm pretty sure that my local store doesn't carry it. Do you know of anywhere it is available online?

Sorry, off the top of my head I don't know about online availability because my LHS carries it. You might see if they can order it since I'm sure they can order Tamiya products. Also, you can try the usual suspects online (Squadron, Great Models, Mission Models, etc.), I'm sure someone carries it. Definitely seek it out, though, because it is great stuff. You'll never want to go back to thicker stuff.
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,183 posts
Armorama: 628 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 05:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

www.greatmodels.com has it. Just go there and do a search for Tamiya extra thin cement.
nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 371 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 07:42 AM UTC
I second the Tamiya extra thin cement. I used to use MEK as a glue, since it was as thin as water and glued the parts together bery quickly. But, as with all really good things there is usually a catch, and with MEK it is that it is very bad for you. Tamiya extra thin is almost as good, and not nearly as toxic. All you need to do is run the little aplicator brush around the join in the nadle a few times, this will soften and spread enough plastic to get a smooth join.

blackeast19
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 394 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 07:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a simple solution: Get some Tamiya Extra Thin cement (best cement I've ever used) and apply a little more than you would to just normally bond parts, pressing down on the part helps as well as it creates a little bubble of melted plastic around the joint. This will melt a little more plastic than necessary, but that is fine. In fact, that's what you want. Let it stand for a minute or so (stuff dries pretty quickly), then with a sharp tip (I use a scribing tool) make small indentations around the base, simulating small weld beads. Works like a charm for those small little joints where you don't feel like breaking out the putty or similar method for replicating a weld bead.

Hi, hellbent11,

I second what Steve recommended. On top of that, you might consider using Gunze's liquid putty, application using toothpick, if the cement is not avaliable.

Cheers!
Reconrsa007
Visit this Community
North-West, South Africa
KitMaker: 69 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 05:02 PM UTC
Try using wood glue, the white stuff...
 _GOTOTOP