_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
What base kit for a guntruck?
sahariana
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 381 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 08:53 PM UTC
Hello All

Which of the 1/35th plastic truck kits can be used for a 'Nam' era guntruck?
I have the AFV with Quad guns and the normal truck with a Kirin body to fit on the back. Just wondering if there are any 5 ton trucks that can be used?
Sorry if this is quite an obvious question, I am getting a bit confused with the different designations at the moment

Cheers
Dus
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 09:09 PM UTC
How about a 1/25th '75 Pinto as the basis for a Guntruck? Dude, that would be righteous!

But, seriously. Any guntruck questions should be directed at:
1) Animal (Dave Willett) Dave is the guntruck modeler of all time! If there was a guntruck in real life, Dave has modeled it! "ANIMAL WANTS TRUCKS!!"

2) GunTruck (Jim Lewis) Another very respected and talented member of the "Guntruck fan/builder club" I mean Jeez, his handle is GunTruck, for Pete's sake!

Oh, let's see...there's;

MrRoo
HeavyArty
TreadHead
Grumpy old man

Who else...
Anyway, look for threads on Guntrucks and chances are, you'll find what you're looking for.

Cuhail
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 09:26 PM UTC
Thaks for the referral, Murph.

The two most common types were built on the M35 series 2 1/2 ton trucks and the M54 series 5-ton trucks. For a Vietnam era guntruck, you can either use the AFV Club M35A2, backdated to an A1, or left as an A2, depending on the year of the truck. Another option is to build an M54 5-ton truck by combining the AFV Club M35A2 kit (or M49A2C) and an Italeri M925 modern 5-ton. Here is an article by Animal on how to do it.

M54 conversion.

Really depends on which truck you are modeling as to which to use as a base. Here is a site with lots of pics.
Guntrucks.

As Murph said, there have been lots of posts on Guntrucks. Go to the top of the Armor/AFV Forum main page and click on the Guntrucks! catagory and you will get pages of topics specifically on Guntrucks. Lost of helpful info.

Good luck.
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 09:56 PM UTC
You can build gun trucks with both models that you said you have. We had the M 35A1 (Nancy kit) and M 35A2 trucks in Nam. In my gallery you will find a lot of photos of actual gun trucks from that periods.
http://photos.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/12306
I would very happy to assist you in a build. The easiest gun truck to build would be the very first truck photoed and it was called Guntruck It was a single wall first generation truck. Very little scratch building is needed to complete this one.
sahariana
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 381 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 02:43 PM UTC
Thanks Guys

I will take you up on the offer animal, thanks for the link gino and the leads Murph.

Best Regards
Dus
 _GOTOTOP