Hosted by Darren Baker
Church dio - part III
Simon
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 878 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 10:37 PM UTC
Well, not much new. Though some animals in the dio always brings the scene to live. Here they are:

A different angle:

For the moment I'm laying cobblestones in front of the church, has made a lamppost, some debris and some other stuff. I'll keep you posted.

Comments, critizism, reactions...let me have 'em.

Thanks for your time

Simon
Removed by original poster on 10/31/07 - 20:07:57 (GMT).
Simon
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 10:59 PM UTC
Thanks Tuomas. Nice to hear you like it.
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 11:03 PM UTC
hi Simon, the animals are a nice touch. I feel anytrime you can add detail to it like that it makes it more real. The grasses and stone work look good too. I look forward to seeing this as you add vehicles and figures. Cheers Kevin
ekke
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 285 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 11:35 PM UTC
Quite nicely done, I like the idea of ading animals, but keep in mind that they´d probably fly/run away from loud tanks and talking soldiers..
sonnyboy
Visit this Community
Denmark
KitMaker: 473 posts
Armorama: 252 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 11:51 PM UTC
hey simon. It realy looks good. I like the nice dynamic colours in the dio! Are you going to add some tanks and some figures ?
Parks20
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 737 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 05:19 AM UTC
It's coming along nicely Simon, I love the ivy on the walls, how did you do that?
Simon
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 10:53 PM UTC
Hi all
Thanks so much for your replies. Its very appreciated.

Parks:
The ivy was made of roots, brown paint, white glue and fine "flocke" from NOCH. I'not quite sure what's the correct term in english, so you'll have to do with the german.
First you add white glue to the root, and 'dip' the flocke on it. Then add some glue on the wall, and 'dip' the flokce on that as well. Glue the root , and let it dry. Add more flocke where necessary. Last thing; use brown paint (in this case Valejo Dark Leather Brown) thinned with water, and gently paint the branches on the flocke. That's it.

For the moment I'm not sure what vehicle I'll use. One thing is for sure, its going to be US GIs and vehicles.

See you soon, with more pics

Simon
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 11:46 PM UTC
Looking good Simon. I'm glad you are keeping the wall, although most churches are free standing in the centre of town or village, there are plenty religous buildings, such as monastries etc., which are walled. Substantially walled at that..
I like the cat, you did a good job on that. Just make sure the cat will look directly at some action point in your dio. Cats are very inquisitive..
As for the bird, I would cut of the molded "legs", not one of Mr Tamiya's most convincing efforts :-) , and replace them with two pieces of wire or sprue. You'll be surprised who much this improves the bird.

Cheers
Henk
BigJon
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 01:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As for the bird, I would cut of the molded "legs", not one of Mr Tamiya's most convincing efforts :-)

Cheers
Henk

Oh come on Henk, you've got to have heard of the lesser spotted Blockfoot

I particularly like the litter on the floor. I would tone it's colour down a touch to make it look like it's been wet then dried out, but I think it's a very nice touch.

All in all, once there is some main action on the diorama, I think it's going to look great

good luck with it

Jon

Simon
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 01:54 AM UTC
Thanks guys.
As for the bird: I have removed mr. Tamiyas (Godzilla-)feet, so its 'sitting' on its belly (wonder what it's doing!).
But a nice idea to make those feet with wire. Thanks for the tip.

As for the litter in the narrow street. It seems more bright on photo than in real life (!). More debris will be placed there, so perhaps the litter as it is now will be hidden underneath it all.

Thanks again.
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 02:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

More debris will be placed there, so perhaps the litter as it is now will be hidden underneath it all.

Thanks again.

Don't bury it too much, it looks good. Plus, paper etc would have been blown away by the wind so it wouldn't lie there too long.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 03:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quite nicely done, I like the idea of ading animals, but keep in mind that they´d probably fly/run away from loud tanks and talking soldiers..

I agree, if this is the case... But I think that if you alter the tail of the cat for instance to suit the situation, you would kill two birds with one stone (To keep the barnyard theme :-) ) as whenever I see that pussy I think "There's that darn Tamiya cat"... Would it improve its appeal if you made the tail lower or wrapped around its' hind legs...???
Hey love the bird though; really suits the ruin If it is nesting, why not have some white bird$h!te on the window frame below, or even a nest crammed somewhere?
Opretholde den barmhjertighedsgerninger
Cheers
Brad
Simon
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 05:56 PM UTC
Hi
Thanks for your replies, Brad and Murdo.

The litter will be visible in the final dio - I like it my self, and I think wrapped paper on the street or pavement always makes dios more realistic. Don't worry - more paper will be added if necessary.

And Brad: Your danish is quite good. Though I think it should have said "DIN" (yours), and not "DEN". Anyways, about that cat - I agree with the tail, and I've just looked at it, and thought that the tail is a bit too long. I'll have a closer look at it.
As for the bird. There will be birdsh t there. I like the idea of the nest. Thanks.

Thanks guys, and "glem ikke at gå i kirke på søndag" (Don't forget church on sunday)
 _GOTOTOP