_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-72 turret upgrades?
woodstock74
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,189 posts
Armorama: 692 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 10:51 PM UTC
I know AEF makes a number of variants but who else? Isn't there a Finish manufacturer? Any others? With all the negtive comments regarding AEF's quality I'm interested in anyone other than AEF.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 11:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I know AEF makes a number of variants but who else? Isn't there a Finish manufacturer? Any others? With all the negtive comments regarding AEF's quality I'm interested in anyone other than AEF.

Smart man. I'll search and see what I come up with. Not familiar with any off the top of my head, but I know there are others. "Q"
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 11:40 PM UTC
As strange as this may sound, I had an AEF designs T-72M1 turret and it was pretty good. Of course, I bought it after inspection at a local show.
armormike
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 106 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 11:56 PM UTC
Blast Models makes a superb turret for the T-72. I have had good AEF and I have had very bad from AEF. It seems that the older stuff that can sometimes be found on eBay is better thatn the stuff just made.

MB Models made some turrets. Unsure of the quality. I just bought three different ones on eBay and will know soon if any good. MB can also be hit and miss.
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 02:32 AM UTC
Hi Mike,
JS Models out of Finland makes a replacement turret. I have one and it is very nice, here is a link to a review of it:

http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/modern/js12.htm

The only downside to this one is you can only get them from the shop in Finland listed on the review page, so... mail order time. I called the shop early one Satuday morning (the owner speaks english) to order it since you can't order directly from the site.

I haven't seen it in person but have heard the Blast turret is also very good. Here is a link to a review of it on PMMS:

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/blast/bl35046k.htm

There is at least one more out there, but for the life of me I can't remember the brand name, but it also can be hard to find (even if you know the brand ) Last, as you surmised and others have mentioned, I would steer clear of AEF.That is unless like Rob you can inspect it before you buy. I have used AEF stuff a number of times, and still have a couple of pieces, (including one of his T-72 turrets) and the quality is truely hit or miss, with seemingly more misses

HTH,
Mike
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 03:27 AM UTC
That Blast update is some first class piece of work, unfortunaetly it is also some first class piece of change. I also am having difficulty finding it in US, so that makes it even more expensive. Well, I've got a large stash and enough planned out projects to lst me a year or two, so I'll be patient and wait for Trumpeter or Dragon to get around to fixing Soviet modern armor to the same standards they are doing with World War 2 stuff.
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 07:10 AM UTC
Well this was worth while! I wasn't aware of the Blast T-72A turret. That is exactely what I am after. I've assembled a small army of Russain MBTs over the course of the last month (T-64, 2 T-80s, IS-3 to go with the T-72A, T-80UD, and T-55 that I already have)!
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 03:03 AM UTC
There are also two T-72 turrets from Model Point, located here

However, they are also sold out. Sigh.

Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 05:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/modern/js12.htm

The only downside to this one is you can only get them from the shop in Finland listed on the review page, so... mail order time. I called the shop early one Satuday morning (the owner speaks english) to order it since you can't order directly from the site.

You can order by email too! And the link in the review ( http://www.kolumbus.fi/martti.kuivalainen/engindex.html ) leads to the english version of the site. No problems here.
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 07:20 PM UTC
Now that I know where to get a T-72 turret, does anyone other than AEF make a T-90 conversion for a T-72?
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 07:34 PM UTC
Terre Models makes a T-90 conversion. It is ok. There are rumors of another comapny making a resin conversion, but I have not heard who or when...
IronFelix
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 29 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 07:52 PM UTC
I have the AEF designs conversion, and am in the process of assembling it. If you can find the Terre Models one, go for it. The AEF designs one is highly mediocre, and requires a large, large amount of scratchbuilding to make accurate.
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 11:48 PM UTC
Who stocks Terre Models?
armormike
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 106 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2005 - 01:43 AM UTC
Blast stocks Terre Models. Also there has been a seller on ebay (opossum46) who has been listing these on occasion. He is in Germany and can ship to you. Blast is the easiest to get. Don' forget to get the T-90S as this is the most common one regular T-90 didn't have many produced and I believe was not used by the army.
 _GOTOTOP