SQS tiger
orange_3D
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 469 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 08:56 PM UTC
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has come across this 1/16 scale RC Tiger Tank from SQS:
http://www.marionvillemodels.com/electric-powered/radio-Controlled-BB-Battle-Tank-Tiger-1-16th-scale/product.aspx

i'm thinking of getting it, but wanted to hear some reviews from people who've played with it...

it's a good price, has all the most of the functionality of the tamiya one but for a fraction of the price, doesnt have the fancy sounds but it shoots BB's
the details can use some improvement but it seems like the overall shape seems ok (it looks like a tiger tank)...
majorme
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 687 posts
Armorama: 66 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 02:09 AM UTC
hi sonny,
I bought this one some time ago and it's very cool to drive with it. But you say it's from SQS? mine is from henglong and it looks exactly the same, the battery, the controller, the figure, the tank(of course )... it doesn't have any sound units like the tamiya tanks, but you can drive this thing trough your backyard whitout thinking that it was a very expensive kit . I have a lot of fun with it now.

gr. martijn
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 02:16 AM UTC
Sonny, I have this same tiger, the panther and the pershing that are all made by this company. They are made by Heng Long. The tiger is supposed to be modeled or copied from the Tamiya 1/16th Tiger. I like them. We found them on ebay. do a search on ebay for an rc tiger and you will find them very cheap. We paided I think 25USD for the Tiger and it was 50USD shipping. Here is a better pic of it.

I think you would have a lot of fun with it. Cheers Kevin
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 02:17 AM UTC
Hey

I've seen them driving next to the Tamiya RC tanks and it's a big difference.

If I were you I'd save some more money and go for the Tamiya Tiger.

Of course it's a good alternative if you don't want to spend too much money on it.....

Martin
orange_3D
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 04:57 PM UTC
hi
thanks for the replies, good to hear that no one has had any bad experience with them...

yeah, there is a big difference compared to the tamiya model when it comes to the tools, but i am think it would be fun to actually add and correct these details...

have some concern as to the durability of the parts especially the running gear and firing mechanism?
how is the performance of the gun?

looks like i'll be getting it, heheh, a couple of guys in the office are interested as well, so we may get some tank vs tank action soon!
WhiteWolf
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2005 - 09:22 AM UTC
Sonny:

For the full 411 on these Hen-Long's, the guys over on the Marui Tank Group (Yahoo) can tell ya all about 'em:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MaruiTankGroup/

The new Smoke and Sound ones are much better than the older ones (finer speed control) and there are many aftermarket bits made now, like metal gears and brass bushings for the gearboxes, slower motors, and even new metal sprockets, idlers and metal track.

90 Euro? Heck, talk to the guys on MTG, they'll give ya a few leads to get an S&S Tiger 1 for that kinda dough.

WhiteWolf
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 08:07 AM UTC
Whitewolf, thanks for the link. I will go check these guys out too. cheers Kevin
orange_3D
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 06:58 PM UTC
thanks for the link whitewolf

i got the chance to try the 1/16 pershing also from sqs or henglong (not sure if they are the same tanks with different labels)...it was pretty cool with engine sounds and smoke coming from the exhaust...
however,
i was a bit dissappointed by the driving response, a little slow, might be from a low battery in the transmitter... and also the the main gun seemed to be firing at a fairly low velocity...i was hoping i could do some target practice on paper targets at a distance of 10 meters...but doesnt look like the plastic BB's will penetrate anything at that range...we will see...

i didnt get a chance to try out the tiger though...
WhiteWolf
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 09:27 AM UTC
Sonny...

You mention the smoke and sound options... perhaps the SQS is a corruption of the S&S for Smoke and Sound? I've seen worse 'translations' out there.

As for the BB unit, it ~is~ pathetic. Many of the guys swap them out for the better Marui ones, but don't expect genuine 'Airsoft' quality unless you try to retrofit one of those units into the turret.

I may bag one of the basic M26's for a special project... well, actually, for a few ideas, and all of them require the M26 chassis... *sigh*

WhiteWolf

_GOTOTOP