Hosted by Darren Baker
rreference on the Leopard 2A6 MBT
kyle4321
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 08:49 PM UTC
Hi all, I wanted to build the 1/16 Tamiya Leopard 2A6 MBT. I wonder if any one know of good documentation out there in paper form to help me detail the tank.

Another questions. I see there are lots of expensive detail items out there, that 1) improve on the detail of the kits plastic parts. But My question is do I really need metal tracks and turned al. road-wheels for my build. I plan on just runinig around the house or yard with my 5 year son. The metal tracks and road wheels are really expensive items. I can see going with some of the metal suspension parts for the running gear--> for the strength factor. But please let me know your opinions. Thanks alot, Jim
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 09:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all, I wanted to build the 1/16 Tamiya Leopard 2A6 MBT. I wonder if any one know of good documentation out there in paper form to help me detail the tank.

Another questions. I see there are lots of expensive detail items out there, that 1) improve on the detail of the kits plastic parts. But My question is do I really need metal tracks and turned al. road-wheels for my build. I plan on just runinig around the house or yard with my 5 year son. The metal tracks and road wheels are really expensive items. I can see going with some of the metal suspension parts for the running gear--> for the strength factor. But please let me know your opinions. Thanks alot, Jim

Hey

I use just the plastic tracks from the kit for my Pershing and they're ok. Fact is that if you drive hard and make fast turns on stone etc your plastic tracks can loose their profile fast. Metal tracks of course are much stronger and will last much longer.

But until your plastic tracks are "dead", why bother? You can always buy it later if you want it after all.

The roadwheels don't seem neccesary to me. The wheels provided with the kit are strong enough.

You might want to consider buying the gun stabalizing unit instead, that's more fun

Also think about detail you can improve yourself. For instance I scratchbuild the periscope guards on my Pershing. I bet there is enough like that to do on the Leo as well....

As for paper reference I don't know. I do know that Tanxheaven has real good walkarounds so you could take a look there.

Oh and don't forget to build the tank into a Dutch version eh
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
Armorama: 1,423 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 09:31 PM UTC
Hi Jim
I have built the Leo 2 A6 not that long a go. I used AM metal parts, AM tracks and a gun stabilizer system. Be aware that you must change the elevation servo for the main gun to make it work properly. I was to "chicken" to do any major scratch building to such a expencive model except for some minor details. However here are som links for my complete build.

Monster Cat 1
Monster Cat 2

Cheers
Erik

PS: It will be a looooong time before I build something like this again (Unless a 1:16 Abrams should come a long)
WhiteWolf
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2005 - 09:38 AM UTC
Jim:

I think SEAD has a review up on the 2A6... (* digs for the linkage *)

http://www.sead.us/kitreviews.html

If ya have trouble reading the text cause its hidden behind the pics just do a copy and then paste into Word or WordPerfect, and read away

As for detailing, look through the bits on www.schumo-kits.com & www.axels-modellbau-shop.de (Schumo-Kits & Axel-Modellbau are the same company, though listings vary)

Depending on where you are, you may want to order from either www.TankZone.co.UK (British Isles) or www.BackyardArmor.com or www.ETOArmor.com (North America)

WhiteWolf
 _GOTOTOP