_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
What Flat is simply not flat
wmarmor
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2005 - 09:55 PM UTC
Ever had trouble getting flat paint to actually dry flat?

I am having that problem now.

I have tried 4 different flat clear coats

Tamiya
Badger
Rustall Flat
Model Masters Acryl

I simply cannot get them to dry flat.

I recently built a Tamiya Panther G and painted it using flat Model Masters Acryl colors. It was certainly flat after the paint dried.

I applied a coat of Future in prep for decalling. After the decals dried I coated it again with Future to seal the decals. After that dried I sprayed on the above listed flat clear coats and lo and behold the tank is just a shiny and looks like the flat was never applied.

I always mix and shake the paint before using.

Airbrush used is a Paasche VL
Pressure 10 pounds
Temp in the spray booth 73 degrees
No heat was used to help the paint dry

I have tried varing the pressure and the amount of paint applied

flat colors dry properly but why does the clear coat not do the same?

Anyone have any ideas to help me solve this problem.

Thanks

Thom
Grandville, MI

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2005 - 09:59 PM UTC
Let me be the first to welcom you to Armorama.
I get dead flat results using Testor's Dullcote shot thorugh the airbrush with a little bit of thinner to increase the flow.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2005 - 10:42 PM UTC
One of your problems may be that you are shooting an acrylic over an acrylic. Depending upon how ehavily you are coating with paint (and therefore, solvent) you may be actually reactivating the Future and overriding the effects of the flat. Dunno for sure, just a theory.

Testors Dullcoat is a completely different paint tyle, so the thinner form it shouldn't react with the acrylic paints, especially if the coarts are kept thin. I like a mix of 60% Floquiil flat with 40% Floquil dust and it dried dead flat every time. Again, a different paint chemistry.

HTH

Paul
wmarmor
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2005 - 11:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

One of your problems may be that you are shooting an acrylic over an acrylic. Depending upon how ehavily you are coating with paint (and therefore, solvent) you may be actually reactivating the Future and overriding the effects of the flat. Dunno for sure, just a theory.

Testors Dullcoat is a completely different paint tyle, so the thinner form it shouldn't react with the acrylic paints, especially if the coarts are kept thin. I like a mix of 60% Floquiil flat with 40% Floquil dust and it dried dead flat every time. Again, a different paint chemistry.

HTH

Paul

Thanks Paul for the idea. I am going to let this tank dry for a couple of weeks then try it again with a different solvent type of clear coat and see if that solves the problem. It is funny though that I have about a dozen other tanks finished acrylic over acrylic with absolutely no problems. This problem cropped up with the last 2 models I built. That also coinsides with the beginning of all the snow falling here in West Michigan.
Part-timer
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 361 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2005 - 11:46 PM UTC
I know I can usually get a flatter coat (whether with paint or a clear coat) by increasing the PSI on the airbrush and using a higher % of volatile thinner (alcohol for acrylics). That's because the paint or coat will start to dry in the air on the way to the model - it hits and sticks. There's no leveling, and there's even some micro-granularity. This also has the added benefit of being dry to the touch within seconds of spraying.
Part-timer
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 361 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2005 - 11:46 PM UTC
I know I can usually get a flatter coat (whether with paint or a clear coat) by increasing the PSI on the airbrush and using a higher % of volatile thinner (alcohol for acrylics). That's because the paint or coat will start to dry in the air on the way to the model - it hits and sticks. There's no leveling, and there's even some micro-granularity. This also has the added benefit of being dry to the touch within seconds of spraying.
waikong
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 25 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 02:25 AM UTC
I use PollyS flat over Tamiya, Model Masters, and future all the time. It provides a dead flat finish. Just make sure your future coat is completely dry - like overnight. PollyS is water soluable like other acrylics, which is a plus for me.
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,339 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 03:51 AM UTC
Welcome to Armorama Thom, heres a really dumb question, but are you completely mixing your paints? Could be part of the problem...

Dave
ChrisRidle
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 9 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 08:21 AM UTC
I've found 2 products that work for me. One is Delta Ceramcoat's Matte Varnish. The problem with that is that it gums up my airbrush rather easily. I have to work quickly and leave my airbrush open full throttle once I start, which makes it more of a spray gun. However, it dries nice and flat.

The 2nd product is Citadel Colour Matte Varnish that comes out of a spray can. This is how I dull coated my LAV. It's quick, easy, dries quickly, and is flat. The drawback is that it is not everywhere. I found it in the Role Playing Game section of my hobby shop.

wmarmor
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 08:21 AM UTC
Yep, I always mix my paints before use.

wmarmor
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 08:23 AM UTC
I hate to say it but to me it looks like in the photo some shiny areas on the model. I would hate to think you may be having the same problem I am.

Thom
Grandville, MI
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 602 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 08:46 AM UTC
I usually have this problem with brushing flat paints. Tamiyas paint I never even bother trying to brush paint.

To solve my problem I dig up some of the goop at the bottom of the jar and put that on palatte and it seems to work for me.

However tonight I have a M3 Stuart with semi gloss mg barrels...... as I didn't take my own advice.

Never had too much problem with spraying it though as as others have said its very important to shake and or mix your paints before you use them.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 10:03 PM UTC
Hi Thom,

Don't worry about a slightly shiny look. It's the way real armor looks like.

To tone down this shiny look though, you can use some pastel chalk as the last step of your decoration.

olivier
 _GOTOTOP