Hosted by Darren Baker
Why so many modern 1:72 Kits
Cookie
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 588 posts
Armorama: 490 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 04:00 AM UTC
I have often discussed the lack of Modern vehicles and figures bring produced by the kit manufactures. It has often been pointed out to me that they will only involve their valuable resources in subjects which have the greatest demand, ie. WWII. and therefore offer the best return on their investment.
No problem with that in fact they should be comended for taking plastic kits to a new high with some of their latest WWII releases.
If it is correct that they only produce for the subject with the biggest demant why then is it that Dragon have released many modern kits in 1:72. Several Humvees, M1's. Bradelys, AAVP's, Challengers, Lepoards. Why then can these kits not be produced in 1:35

Cookie
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 05:33 PM UTC
Dragon is doing some 1/35 scale modern armor once again. A new Abrams series is due out and the M1 Panther II has been out a while. I think the reluctance to come out with new kits in 1/35 scale is our own fault. Current "experts" will rip into a kit for any conceivable error and the reviewers will parrot these mistakes.

As far as the reasoning for doing so many in 1/72, at that scale it is easier to get details "close enough". Multiple versions is just Dragon's attempt to get more kits from the same basic set of sprues.

There is not a whole lot of difference between the three sets of HMMWVs, three Abrams and three Bradleys they have out. Just a couple of different parts exchanged.
 _GOTOTOP