_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
firefly + hedgerow cutters?
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
KitMaker: 986 posts
Armorama: 387 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 08:55 AM UTC
....i have the 1/35 DML firefly Vc and i was wondering whether they were ever attached the headrow cutters (Cullins device)? i see that some US shermans in normandy have them, but did the British used them as well?

.. many thanks.
MonkeyGun
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 943 posts
Armorama: 825 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 09:11 AM UTC
Im no expert but i think the British did use hedgerow cutters on there Cromwells in fact one is included in the Tamiya kit .

I did some searching on the internet and apparently there is a pic of a British Sherman with hedgecutters in the Osprey book on the "Shermans in British service". And possibly a pic of a Firefly with the cutters in Mark Haywards book "Firefly"

Maybe one of the resident Sherman experts will be able to cast more light on the subject or maybe even have these books

Ian
crockett
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 370 posts
Armorama: 302 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 09:11 AM UTC
Idon't mean to come off like an expert, because I don't know beans about the Firefly, But I would think that the Brits didn't have to deal with as much "hedgerow" country in thier Caan sector, and I don't really recall ever seeing British armor with hedgerow cutters installed.

Steve
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 725 posts
Armorama: 340 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 11:22 AM UTC
I'm with MonkeyGun on this one. I've seen a couple of photos with brit shermie's that had cutters on them. I've also seen a few models with them on. Where I found the pics on the net escapes me but I'll see what I can dig up!
Exile
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 34 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 12:39 PM UTC
Haywards' Firefly shows a picure of one Firefly (pg93) with a Cullin , tank is a Guards Armoured Brigade " North of Paris" in Beauvaris(sic) August 31, 1944 after the breakout. he states that the picture is included because of the "Unique" nature of a Firefly photographed with a Cullin device. This is doubly logical: firstly the length f the gun means that the turret would need to be facing rearward to avoid jamming into the hedge (less than wise when attacking) and secondly the use of Firefly operationally would make it the least likely in a Squadron to find a Cullin useful. SOP in Normandy was or there to be one Firefly to 4/5 75mm equipped Shermans with the Firefly in the rear position and only to be used when faced with an opponent that required the effectiveness of the 17lb gun.
So yes it happenned but obviously rarely. hope this helps.
tony
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
KitMaker: 986 posts
Armorama: 387 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 12:53 PM UTC
thanks for the infos guys. i tried googling 'sherman-firefly-hedgerow' pics but came out nothing....

Quoted Text

....But I would think that the Brits didn't have to deal with as much "hedgerow" country in thier Caan sector....

so there aren't many hedgerows in the Caen sector?

Quoted Text

This is doubly logical: firstly the length f the gun means that the turret would need to be facing rearward to avoid jamming into the hedge (less than wise when attacking). SOP in Normandy was or there to be one Firefly to 4/5 75mm equipped Shermans with the Firefly in the rear position and only to be used when faced with an opponent that required the effectiveness of the 17lb gun.

..... hmmm... those are some good reasons, guess they were pretty rare after all... any pics of the firefly with the device? thanks..
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 02:23 PM UTC
Mojimbo! Why not run up a map of France? Caen is in the eastern sector from the beachhead that Monty and his gang lay siege to, whereas the bocage country was to the west and then southerly ie. St. Lo, Marigny etc. Where the US forces were pushing to Brittany. Commonwealth forces were also there around Villers Bocage (They probably wished they weren't
HTH
Cheers
Brad
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 05:24 PM UTC
It did happen, but not that often.

As has been said already, the geography of the British areas of operation was more favourable for tank fighting.

British troops did fight in bocage country, in the area where they met up with US troops, but they found churchill crocodiles and sherman crabs more effective in dealing with hedgerows.

_GOTOTOP