Hosted by Darren Baker
Wire Tree Help
trabbott
Visit this Community
South Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 31 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 09:40 AM UTC
I recently created my first trees made out of wire, nothing substantial, but just a start to learn the process. After complerting my trees, I coated them with the only item I had on hand, WS Hydrocal. As I began to paint the limbs, and handle them ever so gently, the plaster seem to chip off extremely easily (prior to painting, in an effort I thought would strengthen the plaster, I sprayed them all with an acrylic clear flat), leaving no possibility of simulating any bark texture. Can someone advise what I should do to the plaster to improve its strength and subsequent gripping of the wire or oif there is a more suitable product? In the Osprey Terrain Modelling Masterclass book, the author references Tetrion (sp?), however I am not familiar with that product or its availability here in the states.

On a side note, is there anywhere here in the States to obtain rubberized horsehair, or its equivalent?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 12:38 PM UTC
Hi Trabott.
By Hydrocal, I think you mean spackel. Akthough this is strong ... it is brittle. You need to add white glue (Elmers) to give it more strength and help it cling better. Dont try to add all in one go, its better to build it up in a few layers. Use a self drying putty for the last layer so you can texture the bark. Hope this helps.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 12:39 PM UTC
Hi Trabott.
By Hydrocal, I think you mean spackel. Akthough this is strong ... it is brittle. You need to add white glue (Elmers) to give it more strength and help it cling better. Dont try to add all in one go, its better to build it up in a few layers. Use a self drying putty for the last layer so you can texture the bark. Hope this helps.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 12:41 PM UTC
Trabbot, for rubberised horsehair i think you can use plumbers hemp, or tow, which is in strands and used to help seal pipe threads. Ask a plumber for some hemp, I'm sure they can spare some, otherwise it comes in a BIG roll...
HTH
Cheers
Brad
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 04:49 PM UTC
If you really did use Hydrocal it will be a difficult task even with some elmers added (IMHO). I would recommend heading to the nearest DIY (Lowes, Home Depot, Ace) and getting a small $2 tub of spacke and do what Frank outlines.
bodymovin
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 544 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 01:21 AM UTC
also the nice thing about using spackle is that u can use a wire brush afterwards and scratch in bark.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 03:05 AM UTC
I recommend using plaster of paris, in a very thick consistancy... about the same as a milkshake. I use Dental Plaster personally, and while there is still the slight chip here and there, it is only on the thinest branchs, and is easily covered with just a bit of paint. Try plaster... it works far better than Hydrocal or Spackle... and is quite cheap.
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 04:11 AM UTC
trabbott, Rubberised horsehair used to be hard to find here in the states. I had mine shipped over from the UK. As far as plumbers hemp or tow, these are NOT the same thing. There is finally a product available here in the states found at scenic express that is rubberised horse hair with a little twist. it can be found
http://www.sceneryexpress.com/products.asp?dept=1043
Look for the horsetail stuff. Hope this helps. Your neighbor to the south, Kevin
trabbott
Visit this Community
South Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 31 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 07:52 AM UTC
Thanks for all of the help...I'll definitely try some of the other plasters/spackles to experiment with. Also, I've got some of the Super Trees and other items from Scenic Express before and their products are great...I found the horsetail in the catalog and it looks fantastic. Thanks again!
 _GOTOTOP