_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
All those T-55s
Aitch
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 138 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 08:35 AM UTC
With the Tamiya T-55 coming round the mountain is anyone thinking of any articles on the T-55?
As I have a couple of kits in 1/35th - the Skif T-55A allegedly...
and the Esci Ertl T-55 which is not quite apparently.
So if I get the new Tamiya and it turns out to be the best that will be two kits redundant.
So, I'd like some kind person who is a T-55 nutcase to either do a crosskit to come up with the definitive T-55, or do an article or two on conversions we can do that will cash in on the strengths of the two other kits...
Pretty please
And before anyone asks why I don't do it myself, I'll admit to knowing almost nothing about 'modern' Russian tanks - I'm about to start on the Toyway re-issue of the Tamiya T34/85 in 1/25th
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 08:55 AM UTC
Still talking about the T55... what is the trumpeter kit worth ?
jackhammer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 357 posts
Armorama: 310 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 12:13 PM UTC
Fromso of the posts I've read,Tamiya's T-55 has a problem with the fuel tanks not having plumbing or caps.The attachments for those tanks to the fender struts are a mess as well.I have no problems with any of this,seeing that other kits have wrong size tanks and inaccurate engine decks.I can figure out which is easier to fix so,Tamiya will be the way to go.Also,I have the old verlinden super-detail set for the esci kit which has the photo-etch fender attachments and other goodies.The plumbing of the fuel tanks would need to be done on any T-55 kit and the caps will be easy enough to fix.As for the Skif kit,I was told to stay away from it.No information was given to me about the problems with this kit so,this is hear-say.I will probably buy one just so the interior can be doated to my soon to drool over T-55(can't wait to get it).Of course,the aftermarket guys are going to blitzkrieg us with all the details we can stand so..........this post is probably way to long about a mute subject.
(:-)
Aitch
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 09:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I will probably buy one just so the interior can be doated to my soon to drool over T-55(can't wait to get it).

Good point - I hadn't thought of swapping the interior from the Skif to the Tamiya. That's one off the list. Now if any of the Esci parts are better than the upcomming Tamiya parts I can do a kitswap... Here's waiting with baited breath :-)
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 04:30 PM UTC
Personally, I think the ultimate T-55 will escape us for generations to come

I will continue to build the ones that come across my bench. I'm not a rivet counter, and they look good enough for me. All I want is a good fit and build.
Aitch
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2002 - 03:11 AM UTC
Sabot, it was you I was thinking about when I asked for a T55 guru - I know you have your own opinions regarding the Skif T-55. It was you that persuaded me to get one and I'm happy with that choice. That gives me the chance to use the interior for the Tamiya if it's as good as promised.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2002 - 04:25 AM UTC
Tamiya is not immune to making 'silly' mistakes.

WAIT, don't flame me yet...-grin-

Their JSII (3?) kit has a mishmash of engine deck details, the T72 turret is a mess, and let's not even go into the T62. They can be forgiven for that one though, it's old old tech.

Having said that, I am not of the school of thought that "the upper leftmost rivet is .00046 scale centimeters too far to the right " that picked apart the Academy Stuart kit.
I am definately in the camp of " If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck , and tastes like duck, it's good enough for me."

I respect several reviewers a great deal, Sabot and Cookie amongst them and I had high hopes for the Skif kit, and may even build one someday, but I'm glad I waited for the Tamiya kit.

I do have a Trumpeter T55 with mine gear I won in a club raffle.
I had hoped to use up the Trumpeter T55 w mineclearning gear kit buy adding the mine gear to the Tamiya kit, and using the Trumpeter hull for the Achrazit conversion from Legends by way of VLS. No dice.. VLS is all out.

Will I buy 3-4 of the Tamiya kit, yes.
Will I do one ootb right off the bat, yes.
Will I go to town on one, yes.
Will I read and research what can be added or improved, yes.
Will I be a micrometer weilding critic, nope

My US$0.02, and back to modeling
Mike
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 525 posts
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2002 - 04:39 AM UTC
I too am looking forward to getting the T-55A, When ity comes out. But just like Rob, I will be happy with a proper fit and good looks. It's OOB for me. Plus it's been awhile since I built one, So I am excited about building another one. NOT to mention the T-72M-1, Which I am HOPING to get for Christmas.

DAGGER-1
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2002 - 10:01 AM UTC
I wonder why any company would keep producing modern Russian armor for us. Let us run down some of their issues and problems:

Tamiya T-62: just an old motorized kit, shape is OK
Esci T-55s: critics did not like this one
Lindberg T-55: same here
Lindberg T-80: vaguely resembles a Russian tank
Skif T-55: even worse tearing into by critics
DML T-72/80: kit has build & fit problems, some shape problems. In its defense, it was released prior to the wall coming down and real tanks available for inspection.
Skif T-80UD: Decent kit that has taken some shots, but is looked at as the best T-80.
Tamiya T-72: critics point out that the turret is incorrect, I had fit problems with the turret also
Trumpeter tanks: still hit or miss on many of their kits. I do appreciate the fact that they do produce a large line of modern Soviet/PLA tanks from the T-55 through the T-72.

I'll most likely grab a Tamiya T-55, build it OOB. Generally speaking, their kits go together well OOB.
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 774 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2002 - 10:29 AM UTC
Does anyone know when the T-55 will be released? Is it out in Japan yet? And one final question, I have seen a number of people talking about different new kits that are about to be released that have said "I will buy 3 or 4 of ....... myself", does anyone REALLY buy that many of any one kit?

Coop
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2002 - 10:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And one final question, I have seen a number of people talking about different new kits that are about to be released that have said "I will buy 3 or 4 of ....... myself", does anyone REALLY buy that many of any one kit?

I often do Coop. I'll wind up with two (most of the time) left in my collection for a future rainy day. I also ignore the 'reviews' too and I get tired of the complaining pro or con about the next new thing on the modeling front. If I'm interested in the subject, I'll buy it, build it, and keep one in my collection. Maybe I'll even have one on hand for a trade in the future. Kinda makes the hobby expensive, but that was one of the goals I had when I got into it - to be able to invest in what I want to do...

Gunnie
 _GOTOTOP