_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T54B Part 2
mikado
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 329 posts
Armorama: 254 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 10:46 AM UTC
This is a follow on to my first posting...

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/65273&page=1

I applied about 6 layer of Ram umber + Burnt Sienna wash to my T54B and the color tone down about....

Gonna work on the track a bit more next....

bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 03:49 PM UTC
Hi,
it's a very clean build. One point though, I think you shouldn't paint the searlight silver as it is (correct me if I'm wrong) an IR light. It should be glossy black.

I'm not sure for the smaller one on the gunner hatch.

The gun mantlet could also be another shade of green to avoid uniformity and show the different material used in this area.

Do you intend to give it some weathering ?

olivier
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
Armorama: 969 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 04:51 PM UTC
That is a nice build and I look forward to seeing the project as it progresses. I like the T55 as it looks a little like the MG of the tank world.

John
mikado
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2005 - 09:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,
One point though, I think you shouldn't paint the searlight silver as it is (correct me if I'm wrong) an IR light. It should be glossy black.

The gun mantlet could also be another shade of green to avoid uniformity and show the different material used in this area.

Do you intend to give it some weathering ?

olivier

Hi Oliver,
Just want to confirm...if it is a search light..and IR light, how to you search for a target...is it using some thermal sensor

I painted it sliver because the instruction sheet says to paint it white ....

BTW, do you have any photo of a T54B or a link on the net with the actual color of the search light ?

And yes, I intend to do some weathering. some tamiya flat earth on the road wheel and spray some random buff overall to the vehicle...

Hi John,

You model is fantasic...how did you paint the track for model...it is very impressive....

Hi John...
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2005 - 09:06 PM UTC
Here's site with lots of reference pics: http://tanxheaven.com/referencepictures.htm
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
Armorama: 969 posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2005 - 09:11 PM UTC
Hi Mikado,

Thanks for the compliment; as this was a commission for somebody else, the tracks are the Fruil set, which are painted with mixtures of tamiya paints and then finished with mixtures of Mig pigments, I believe various mixtures of Europe dust, Light dust and Beach sand.

Regards,

John
mikado
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2005 - 09:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,
I think you shouldn't paint the searlight silver as it is (correct me if I'm wrong) an IR light.

I'm not sure for the smaller one on the gunner hatch.
olivier

Thanks Eetu......Now I am really confuse....

There are 2 picture with 2 differetn color of the search light....as shown below...

The first one is silver...and the 2nd one is black

so which one is the correct one ?

Anybody out there know what's the diff between them ?
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2005 - 10:43 PM UTC
Both lenses would be correct. The IR lens can be added over or in place of the normal clear lens. The IR lens is a dark red color that looks black and is invisible to the naked eye; however, when viewed through passive night vision devices, the beam looks as bright as a regular searchlight would appear at night time.
mikado
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 03:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Both lenses would be correct. The IR lens can be added over or in place of the normal clear lens. The IR lens is a dark red color that looks black and is invisible to the naked eye; however, when viewed through passive night vision devices, the beam looks as bright as a regular searchlight would appear at night time.

Hi Robin,

thanks for the information. I will repaint the searchlight black in this case....since in normal sunlight, it will appear black ....

One more questions in this case, would the same be applied to the small light at the commander hatch ? Is it also a searh light ? thanks.....

_GOTOTOP