_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
USMC M1A1 kit suggestions?
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 425 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 02:17 AM UTC
Hey all,
I recently got to hang out with my future bro-in-law at Camp Lejeune. He's a tank mechanic and took us to the live fire range where a tank company was practicing. I've never been into modern armor before, but wow! those Abrams' are awesome machines. There seems to be a number of M1A1 kits available, so I'm looking for suggestions to make a decent USMC Abrams. I need a quality kit that I won't have to replace half the parts with aftermarket to make a nice display model. Thanks in advance!
Greg
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 02:30 AM UTC
Trumpeter M1A1 HA is pretty good
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 525 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 02:39 AM UTC
I would have to agree with the TRUMPETER KIT. Even though I am a Big Tamiya fan. I just finished a Trumpeter M1A1H Kit and REALLY Liked it. It is a reaqlly unigue kit. If you build either of them, Tamiya or Trumpeter, You will see what I mean. Good Luck in your quest. AND....Happy Holidays, And Happy Modeling !!

DAGGER-1 Peace Thru Superior Firepower !!
Grizzly
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
Armorama: 223 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 02:45 AM UTC
Dagger-1

DML produced a Marine Corp. abrams,not sure if it still in production,maybe if you check E-bay.
Grizzly
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 425 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 02:45 AM UTC
I saw that Trumpeter kit online this week. It said it was a "heavy armor" version.....are there any complications in changing this to a standard M1A1? or is the current USMC version the one depicted in the kit?
Grizzly
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 02:46 AM UTC
Sorry Grifter,I posted after reading Cagger's response so I guess I had his name on mind,sorry for the mistake. #:-)
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 02:56 AM UTC
C AGGER ?? CAGGER ?? IT'S D-A-G-G-E-R....DAGGER !! NOT CAGGER SO get it Right You BUMM !!! LOL...........Hey just kidding BUT it is Dagger NOT Cagger.. Anyway. I have never built a DML kit before.. I dont like the Link -Type Tracks that DML has in it's kits. SO that is why I prefer the Tamiya Kits. PLUS I dont have to go hunt for it on the internet. They are available at my local hobby shop.

DAGGER-1
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 02:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I saw that Trumpeter kit online this week. It said it was a "heavy armor" version.....are there any complications in changing this to a standard M1A1? or is the current USMC version the one depicted in the kit?

GRIFTER:
I do know that the Tamiya and the Trumpeter Kits are similar kits so If you buy both. You should be able to convert it that way.

DAGGER-1
Grizzly
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 06:24 AM UTC
LOL, sorry Dagger,got to typing to quick I guess.

Grizzly
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 06:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The DML USMC M1A1 kit comes with the fording gear sometimes found on Marine Corps M1A1s. The Marines use the heavy common M1A1 that is still used by some Army units. The "common" part of the name indicates that the vehicle is a later model M1A1 that has various modifications done on the production line to make it suitable for both US Army and USMC use.
During Desert Storm, the Marines borrowed straight M1A1s from the Army but these were replaced by heavy commons post-Gulf War. Visually, the casual observer would not be able to differentiate between a newer heavy armor variant and and older variant. It should be fine for your purposes.
sarge18
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 272 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 08:29 AM UTC
I haven't played with the DML offering yet, but I have had a chance to play with Academy, Tamiya, and Trumpeter, and, at the moment, my preference goes to Trumpeter's Abrams offering. I have the M1A2, the M1A1HA w/ mine plow, and the one with the roller, and so far, building them has been quite fun. The Trumpeter offering for the Marine Corps variant also comes with a snorkel and exhaust duct for deep water fording, along with the Marine Corps style smoke grenade launchers, and also T-158 track, both vinyl and link and length style. I can dig the box out at some point and take photos of the sprues, if you would like. Another preference for the Trumpeter is it is a little more realistic, suspension wise, and allows you to vary the position of the roadwheels, for placement on a base(like a battle position for gunnery).

Jared Sargent,
19K Tank Commander
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2002 - 02:01 AM UTC
Yesterday I was looking at both my Tamiya Kit and the Trumpeter Kit And It suddenly dawned on me, That the main turrents are different in sizes. The Tamiya is larger in proportion to the Trumpeter offering. I have the same Trumpeter Kit with the Mine rollers. BUT I did not build it with it in place. Anyway. I will be converting my Tamiya kit to an A/A Missle Platform. Due to an accident that damaged it. Which is why I am going to convert it.

DAGGER-1 PEACE THRU SUPERIOR FIREPOWER !!
sarge18
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2002 - 02:21 AM UTC
Which version of proposed AA platforms are you going to try, Dagger? The Liberty, or one of the others? One that had been discussed in the mid to late 90's had been one with the turret kept the same size, but the TC and gunner moved closer towards each other, with the gunner in the loader's position. On each of their sides would be pop up stinger packs. Vehicle kept the same general shape as a regular tank, and I can't remember what it carried for a gun system, but I thought it was a rather interesting buggy. If I can find the photos for it, I will post them.

Jed Sargent
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2002 - 03:02 AM UTC
Hi Sarge:
Well I am going to be building from scratch: The Tank will retain it's original shape, And the Missles are AIM-7's Two on each side of the turrent, Radar built forward, Where the main gun used to be. I am improvising, SInce I really dont have a clue about that system, Any ideas, Any extra parts that you might have that you can contribute, Or if you know someone that does. I would be wiling to work something out.
Thanks
DAGGER-1
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,612 posts
Armorama: 449 posts
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2002 - 03:04 AM UTC
Hehe this thread is just in time. :-) I'll be purchasing the Trumpeter USMC M1A1HA with MP kit tomorrow as part of my Abrams collection (Jed, heehee I haven't started working on the MILES II belts :-) ). Why that and not the DML kit which is also available? (BTW, I'm a somewhat loyal DML fan - most of my models are DML and I say they are very nice :-) ) Because the Trumpeter kit has lots of extra goodies such as the mine plow (MP) which I will attach to a DML M1A2 kit (assuming the hobby shop's manager orders 2 of them for me :-) ), a motor, and two pairs of tracks (vinyl or LaLT).
Agreed with Jed on the Trumpeter kit having a more realistic suspension.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2002 - 03:14 AM UTC
Dagger-1, try this link for additional info on the Liberty:

http://63.99.108.76/ubb/Forum13/HTML/001293.html

Link above has the following link in it:

www.jed.simonides.org/tanks/alpha/abrams_series/ liberty/liberty-intro.html

Hope that helps!
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2002 - 03:18 AM UTC
GIB:
Sounds Like you have a plan in mind. Good Luck, Does'nt DML use the link type tracks ??
If so, That's the reason that I won't go near them. TOO HARD to work with. BUT yeah I liked the Trumpeter Kit Too. It seems to be one or two steps above the Tamiya kit's. Which REALLY suprised me. I have ALWAYS been a Tamiya Fanatic. So Trump will and is a nice change. Look forward to seeing your work soon

DAGGER-1
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2002 - 11:41 AM UTC
Dagger: Yup, DML uses the link-to-length tracks as opposed to vinyl. With regard to having difficulty using them, there's a feature article here at Armorama about building such tracks. The article makes it sound simple. :-)

IMO, I find individual tracks/link-to-length tracks superior to vinyl, probably because these more accurately depict the real things. Or maybe because I've become a masochist. :-)
sarge18
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2002 - 12:26 PM UTC
Another reason why I prefer the Trumpeter offering for the M1 series, is you can adjust the track tension, rather realistically, for the vinyl tracks. Also, if you choose to have the track laid out, as in changing track, one side vinyl and the other link-length, it's almost un-noticeable. Also, each skirt opens individually, and contains enough detail to not have to add anything, except MAYBE the track adjusting link(piston that pushes the idler for track tension). The only frustrating note of the Trumpeter kit is the 20MM cans aren' right sized, and the EAPU is a tad small.

As for ADA versions, the picture I saw(not the Liberty, mind you), had two pods(similar to the 4 missile Stinger pod on the Avenger) mounted inside the turret that angled up when needing to be fired. When flush, it blended in with the top of the turret, and thoughts had the fire control at being a combo of thermal, daylight, and radar, for acquisition, besides the fire control nets. May have even seen it in an old ARMOR magazine, Just not too sure.

As for the Trumpeter rollers and plow, just like anything, they can use some extra work, but even built as is, you could actually make them dismountable(just like the real thing), by drilling out the pin holes and adding the mounting pins.
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 02:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dagger-1, try this link for additional info on the Liberty:

http://63.99.108.76/ubb/Forum13/HTML/001293.html

Link above has the following link in it:

www.jed.simonides.org/tanks/alpha/abrams_series/ liberty/liberty-intro.html

Hope that helps!

GIB:
Thanks, I checked it out, Very useful info: It will give me something to work with, Looks like a combo from a Hummmer system. The Radar looks like quite a challenge to build from scratch.

DAGGER-1
 _GOTOTOP