Hosted by Darren Baker
SU-85 started
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2005 - 02:51 AM UTC
I know it isn't much, but I thought I'd better get a jump on this before the new year rolls in!

Jeff
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2005 - 03:39 AM UTC
Hi. I have to say that this looks really, really good. Is this the kit that Backyard Armor advertizes? And is it plasitc or resin? How ado the detail pieces on it look?

Thanks and keep us posted. This definitely tends to wet the appetite for another 1/16 T-34. Ha, ha!

Take care, Sgirty
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2005 - 04:14 AM UTC
Yes, it's one of the two (SU-85 and SU-100) that Backyard Armor carries and it is a flexible resin ... very easy to work with.

The kit comes with metal hatches, metal mantlet and a few other metal pieces. The idea is to also use the detail parts that were supposed to go on the T34/85 turret, including the barrel and drivers hatch. I'll most likely use an aluminum barrel.

Still deciding on whether to make it a German captured tank, or get some dry transfers for the Russian version.

Decisions, decisions! LOL

Jeff
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2005 - 01:43 PM UTC
Cool cool cool I am considering to buy the WSN T-34 and convert it but I think I'll be disappointed by the WSN T-34 because I'm now used to the quality of the Tamiya tanks.....

Martin
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2005 - 05:15 PM UTC
You are right Martin, there is no comparison ... Tamiya tanks are the best in quality and built right out of the box. But with the WSN, the price is right and it's something different.

Depending on how far you want to go, you won't be disappointed with the outcome. Using the Tamiya electronics you'll end up with a better tank than most.

Jeff
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2005 - 05:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You are right Martin, there is no comparison ... Tamiya tanks are the best in quality and built right out of the box. But with the WSN, the price is right and it's something different.

Depending on how far you want to go, you won't be disappointed with the outcome. Using the Tamiya electronics you'll end up with a better tank than most.

Jeff

yes but I think it's quite expensive to buy all the tamiya electronics seperately not?

Martin
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2005 - 07:57 PM UTC
You can get them separately for a few dollars less, but the thing to do is to buy used tanks off ebay or make the electronics easy to salvage from you own Tamiya tanks just to try something new. I battled my M4 105 for almost a year, so I wanted to try something new in the SU-85. Since it doesn't have a turret it may not be ideal to battle, so it might get shelved.

In the meantime I might find some electronics cheap and leave it that way.

Jeff
 _GOTOTOP