_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
MCV-80 Warrior Iraq 2003
RoelGeutjens
Visit this Community
Belgium
KitMaker: 410 posts
Armorama: 383 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 10:59 PM UTC
Hello

Just a few days ago I gave my first model a try to strip it's paint. It was an old jagdpanther from italeri. Next up was my acamdey warrior kitnr 1365. I started to rebuild this model because my current project my leopard 1A5BE is on hold due to a waiting period of 3weeks for my eduard PE set.

I stripped the paint of with oven four. But during the process I broke 7 arms of the roadwheels. Which did not make me happy.

Desperate I screamed for help on the armorama forum. 10 minutes later Sean gave me a golden tip on how to fix the arms. He told me to drill a whole in the hull and the arm and fix a piece of metal wire in it with glue.
After some nervous work this was the result.

A day later the arms are solid as a rock. Thanks again for the tip Sean.
Today I finished the model and it is ready for a pre shade. I hope to get that on this evening.

The last picture is a closer shot of the front of the vehicle. Strangely the add on armor of the hull was not the same as used in Iraq right now. So I studied a lot of pics (Thanks for the great links Peter, Jim and Jason) According to these pics I scratchbuild the front add on armor to be correct. The stowage box on the front is from a challenger which I did not use.

The plan is to build a vehicle of the Highland regiment (Black Watch) participating in the war in iraq arround 2003. I still have to get some info to get this correct.

Now I still have 2 questions.
1)The preshade: should I give the model a dark base colour??? Or just the edges and corners???
2)Is there someone who can give me detailed info on the highland regiment in Iraq???

Cheers Roel
lkoky
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 11:32 PM UTC
Hi RoelGeutjens

Can you post some close up picture on how the broken arms were connected back to the hull again?

thanks.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 04:13 AM UTC
To the best of my knowledge, the bin usually seen on the front of Warriors in Iraq is the old left rear bin that was replaced by a newer one that helps support the side armor.

Paul
RoelGeutjens
Visit this Community
Belgium
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 10:59 PM UTC
Hello everyone

First of all a merry christmas to all.

I did not do much during the past few days. Except for much food that had to be eaten. But I still have some progress on my warrior.
I airbrushed it completely black. I seen an article on preshade or something. I want to give it a try never ever did it before. So if anyone has any pointers please shoot.

That's all folks

Greetings
harrier1
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 613 posts
Armorama: 484 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 11:57 PM UTC
Hi Roel
I too am currently working on a warrior and also trying to make a black watch warrior from iraq. I got pretty much all teh update sets (including anti-RPG armour!) from accurate armour for xmas and have just ordered their interior set!!! I have found this site quite useful

www.operations.mod.uk/.../ photo_gallery_bwbg.htm

it shows pics of the Black watch battle group being redeployed to Fallujah. However i can not find any decals for this subject! It will be good to see how you get on. (unfortunately i can not post pics as i do not have a digital camera!) Nick :-) :-)
Hawkeye
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 701 posts
Armorama: 640 posts
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2005 - 12:34 AM UTC
Hey Roel,

a few thoughts on the pre shading. I recently built a Warrior MRCV and after studying some reference pics i decided to spray the MRCV in it's NATO green, first, then built up layers of Mid Stone for the final colour. If you are careful with the Mid Stone, you can leave some of the green showing through. This not only works as a pre shade, but it is identical to how a lot of UK AFV's look when they have been in the Gulf.

YOu should leave any high points in green, the areas that would be trafficed the most would also show high wear. Next you want to lighten the Mid Stone, or whatever colour you decide on, and spray this lightened mix on the center of any panels to give a sun bleached look to the paint.

Hope this helps

Regards from the Swamp

Hawkeye
RoelGeutjens
Visit this Community
Belgium
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2005 - 04:22 AM UTC
Nick

Can you put the complete url of that website here please?? Or PM me. Because I have still a lot of info that I need to let my vehicle to be correct.

I contacted the unit through email but they have not send back yet I really want it to be correct.

Greetings
RoelGeutjens
Visit this Community
Belgium
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 04:01 AM UTC
hello

This is an emergency call

To all armorama modelers and visitors. Is there anybody who can help me find the vehicle markings on the side of the turret of the highland regiment (black watch) warriors.

Second of all who can explain me the ops name TELIC?? Which operations have there been yet?? I want to make my model in the begining of the war around 2003.

Thanks

Cheers Roel
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
Armorama: 1,423 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 04:42 AM UTC
Black Watch was difficult. Only found some for Irish Guard . These markings are from the 2003 invation, and should work out nice with your Warrior.

Operation Telic is the name given to UK military operations in relation to Iraq. The operation in Afghanistan is named OP Fingal. It is common to give operations and campaigns codename in this way. Some of the guys from UK will probably be able to fill you in on all current and past British operations

Erik

RoelGeutjens
Visit this Community
Belgium
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 06:11 PM UTC
Hello

I am stuck right now on how I would finish my warrior. I searched but no results so far. So I am desperatly crying out to my fellow modelers.
I need detailed info about Which unit was in operation Telic around 2003 in iraq. I need info on vehicle markings to finish my warrior. So if anyone knows which British unit was in Iraq in 2003 and has info on the markings of that unit........ please help

Greetz and thanks in advance Roel
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 07:32 PM UTC
Hi Roel
check your mailbox for a very little help from myself

olivier
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,594 posts
Armorama: 973 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 07:57 PM UTC

Try here
http://www.operations.mod.uk/telic/photo_gallery_bwbg.htm

aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
RoelGeutjens
Visit this Community
Belgium
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 07:23 PM UTC
Hey Thanks for the replies.

It was very helpfull. Now I have an idea.
I mailed the recruiting officer of the highland regiment in december 2005. To ask him the same but he did not answer

It would be helpfull if I wouldknow the companies name and a platoon number. Maybe I am digging to deep :-)
But I want this one to be accurate

Greetings
maximus8425
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2006 - 02:49 AM UTC
The Kings Own Scottish Borderers were the resident Inf Battalion in Al Amara whilst The Kings Regiment were in Basra. I'll mail a mate and see which coy they had in Al Amara as I was in the south with the Kings.
RoelGeutjens
Visit this Community
Belgium
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 09:32 PM UTC
Hello

All Been a long time since I posted something. The hot weather had stopped me from modeling. But the past few days it started to rain so what else could you then...... ....... RIGHT do some modeling.

I have finished the warrior know. I added a eduard PE set. And I must say it is really a pleasure to work with. This was my first PE set but I am sure not the last. This stuff rocks!!!!

The vehicle is finished in a black coat as a base coat. The sand colour will be put on within days.
I did not decide yet which unit I will select for this vehicle. But I have a little clue..... surprise surprise :-)

The pics

Cheers Roel
RoelGeutjens
Visit this Community
Belgium
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 02:03 AM UTC
Hey

Already onto the next stage. I finished the model in a sand colour.
Here are the progress pics of my WIP:

Let me know what you think so far. (last time nobody answered )
Does anyone have a clue on how I should paint the tracks?? I can imagine the are not rusty in the desert??

Cheers Roel
MonkeyGun
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 943 posts
Armorama: 825 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 02:23 AM UTC
Great looking Warrior, all that hard work of stripping the paint and rebuilding has really paid off , cant wait too see further progress pictures

With regards to the tracks , i did some searching and found this website there are some great pics of Warriors in action and of course the state of their tracks ...

http://www.armyrecognition.com/europe/Angleterre/vehicules_legers/MCV-80/Warrior_MCV-80_Angleterre_description.htm

Ian
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
Armorama: 1,423 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 02:46 AM UTC
Looks good far. Keep us updated. Are you planning to use the original tracks? When I built my Warrior I found it was very difficult to get the paint to stick to the rubber tracks.

Erik
RoelGeutjens
Visit this Community
Belgium
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 04:29 AM UTC
Hey

Thanks for the feed back.

@Erik I saw that the tracks quality is not so good. But I intend to use the orginal. I don't want to spent a lot of cash on new ones. And I don't even know where to find them.

Cheers Roel
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Armorama: 713 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 04:06 PM UTC
Hi Roel!
I just saw this thread (don't know how I missed it!... sorry!!) and I want to lend my .02 pence to the conversation, mate! I like what you've done with the kit, the addition of the a/m set greatly enhances both the accuracy and looks. If you care to take a look, I did an OOB full build review of the Academy Warrior MCV and you can see it rightHere!
Cheers!
~Gunny
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 04:50 PM UTC
Coming along nicely. The base coat shows through as a nice preshading. I think the Op Telic color might have a bit more yellow in it though.

Here's a good shot of the Warrior tracks after use:
http://www.operations.mod.uk/telic/images/bwbg/shaibah_wr_tn.jpg

Paul

RoelGeutjens
Visit this Community
Belgium
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 - 08:17 PM UTC
Hey Paul

Thanks for the answer. I think I know enough now.

But I still need some help
Doe anyone know a good sign in arabic, something like stop or we will shoot, stop checkpoint......

Cheers Roel
 _GOTOTOP