_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Centaur?
Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
Armorama: 1,187 posts
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2005 - 12:14 AM UTC
Hi Chums
I got the tamiya kit of the Centaur for xmas

I want to add a wading kit from aber to it,were these fitted to Centaurs or only Cromwells?? as I cant find any pics
Cheers team
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2005 - 12:29 AM UTC
Yes they were fitted to the centaurs as well...remember that the wading gear would be painted in scc15 and not the brownish Khaki color of the Centaurs..so that'll make some people talk !

Rick
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2005 - 07:38 AM UTC
Sorry this is a little off immediate topic, but wondered what the incremented markings were around the turret of some Centaurs (and Shermans for that matter) as have read some info but to me was not layman enough... Something re ranging the guns to fire from on the landing craft?
Cheers
Brad
P.S. Rick what is the colour reference you gave Andy?
scc15...
MonkeyGun
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 943 posts
Armorama: 825 posts
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2005 - 07:47 AM UTC
The tanks would fire their guns while offshore in their landing crafts; they would then land and continue their work from the beach. To assist the fire support, white degree markings were placed on the turrets.

The markings could be read by binocular equipped spotters, this helped align the turrets even if smoke obscured the direct line of sight to the target

Ian
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2005 - 08:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes they were fitted to the centaurs as well...remember that the wading gear would be painted in scc15 and not the brownish Khaki color of the Centaurs..so that'll make some people talk !

Rick

Brad,

SCC15 is British OD, the colour of all new and repainted NW Europe vehilces after the spring of 1944. Details of the colours, and their usage can be found on the MAFVA site under references at:
http://www.mafva.org.uk

Rick,

The actual colours of the RMASG Centaurs is the subject of much debate. The two colours consdered are SCC15 and SCC2, "Service Colour". Now, Service Colour is not a khaki at all, it is, in the words of the soldiers of the time, a "fresh dogshit brown". It faded somewhat lighter over time but was always a relatively dark brown. Many people call SCC15 "Khaki Drab" but there is no such colour and never was. SCC15 starts out as a colour that is very similar to US OD but just a shade greener, but as it fades SCC15 takes on a more green shade where US OD tends to fade greyer.

HTH

Paul
JimF
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 621 posts
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2005 - 08:48 PM UTC
Thanks, Paul, for the link and the explanation of the colors (or should that be colours) for the Centaur... I have one in the stash and it will be very useful when it gets to the assembly and painting stage (which probably won't be any time real soon, too many kits and too little time...)
Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
Armorama: 1,187 posts
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2005 - 09:50 PM UTC
Cheers Guys
Most helpful
cant get on this site, http://www.mafva.org.uk

comes up with this..You are not authorized to view this page

any ideas???
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 03:20 AM UTC
I read on another site that it was down for a while ...
Paul I like your discription of SCC 2 ...When I did mine I started with Humbrols 26 I think it is which is a lighter shade of doggy doo..after weathering and all it looks the part.

Rick
 _GOTOTOP