_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
M50 Ontos
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 04:05 AM UTC
Howdy all, just wanted to know if anyone has had any first hand experience with the 1/32nd scale Renwall M50 Ontos kit? Since there are really no current kits available of this piece, I would like to know if this particular kit is worth the money?

Thx in advance :-)

Tread.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 05:42 AM UTC
I have both a semi started original Renwal Ontos and the Revell reissue from 1982. Pictures of both kits are in the gallery. Detail is 1960s era, but with some detailing, a good rendition can be had. So, it depends on what you pay for it. My Revell kit cost me $5 brand new 20 yrs ago. The Renwal kit cost me nothing, I had a buddy give it too me, he had paid $8 for it at a swap.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 05:46 AM UTC
Never had any luck getting my hands on this kit. If anyone simply loathes their kit and its annoying the heck outta them - I offer a bad-kit-disposal service. Tell me what it'll take to get it out of your life. Send it my way and I promise to beat that offending plastic into submission!

How's that for soliciting!

Gunnie
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2002 - 10:28 PM UTC
Hi guys,
There's a resin offering of the Ontos,think it's a Hobby Fan kit,i'll have to dig it out to be sure,
the hull is going to take some work but the weapons assemblies are nice,resin and metal.
Happy Modeling
modelmaniac
Sabot
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2002 - 10:48 PM UTC
I'm just glad I have the two that I do have. One I built as a teenager, not very well I might add, and the other a friend bought for me that someone started as a child but never completed (still trying to pry that one apart so I can rebuild it). But once Gunnie scratches one or gives in to the resin gods, Revell will re-release it or Skybow will make a new one!
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2002 - 11:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm just glad I have the two that I do have. One I built as a teenager, not very well I might add, and the other a friend bought for me that someone started as a child but never completed (still trying to pry that one apart so I can rebuild it). But once Gunnie scratches one or gives in to the resin gods, Revell will re-release it or Skybow will make a new one!

Okay - I'll start scratching one - like my @#%^ M3 Stuart - maybe Academy will release an injection-molded one just as I'm finishing it up!

Gunnie
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2002 - 08:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Never had any luck getting my hands on this kit. If anyone simply loathes their kit and its annoying the heck outta them - I offer a bad-kit-disposal service. Tell me what it'll take to get it out of your life. Send it my way and I promise to beat that offending plastic into submission!

Gunnie

Gunnie--Very clever! If anyone takes him up on this "deal," please let me know. I have some property in Florida that you'll probably buy too. Happy modeling.
DJ :-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2002 - 09:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Okay - I'll start scratching one - like my @#%^ M3 Stuart - maybe Academy will release an injection-molded one just as I'm finishing it up!

Gunnie

Actually, what Gunnies planning on doing might apease the Great God Murphy! We all know how he thinks
That would be using reverse Physcology, just might work.

Tread.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2002 - 04:25 AM UTC
Hey Gang,

Was keeping up my vigil on the M50 Ontos and I found something I thought was interesting.
Did anyone know (you don't count Rob!) that a company called Atlantic manufactured a kit of the Ontos in HO scale? Not only is it in HO scale, but there are TWO of them in the box!
It went by the title 'Ontos 6 X 106 MM' without the prefix M50.
Sorry to bother the group with this 'nickel' sized bit of info, but found it interesting.

Tread.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2002 - 04:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry to bother the group with this 'nickel' sized bit of info, but found it interesting.

Tread.

Didn't know that Tread, but now I do!

Also I'm going to add to that nickle, last night on the tele, I saw a 30 second clip of that baby in action. ! Pretty cool.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2002 - 05:40 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

Gunnie

Quoted Text

Gunnie--Very clever! If anyone takes him up on this "deal," please let me know. I have some property in Florida that you'll probably buy too. Happy modeling.

Dang - no takers yet - gotta try harder!!!

Gunnie
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2002 - 06:20 AM UTC
OK, if 'Gunnies Bad-Kit-Disposal Service' doesn't answer on the first ring....call 'Tread's Plasticene/Resin/Scratchbuilt/PE heavy/waytoomuchtimespentonsuperdetailingthemother
/Pocket Book Expanding&Headache-Removal-Clinic.

OK??

Tread :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Sabot
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2002 - 11:08 AM UTC
And here you were turning down that resin Ram conversion.
M4Nut
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 148 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2002 - 01:27 AM UTC
Jim,
I will have to check my stash but I may have 2 kits and if I do I might be will to part with one.
Eric
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2002 - 03:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jim,
I will have to check my stash but I may have 2 kits and if I do I might be will to part with one.
Eric

Well - if you can part with one (I KNOW how hard it is) let me know!

Gunnie
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2002 - 12:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jim,
Eric

Are you talking about an Ontos? (pant-pant-pant)

Tread. :-)
M4Nut
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2002 - 06:17 AM UTC
Well I haven't had a chance to check my stash (it's in the top of my daughter's closet, so it is when I can get in her room) but from my notes I think I only have one. Will hopefully check later today and get back to you.

Eric
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2002 - 06:25 AM UTC
That's alright Eric, if you do have one please sell it to Gunnie first. As I'm sure Gunnie can do a much better job than I in building it!

Tread.

Although, Gunnie's recent decision to scratchbuild one will probably open the floodgates of all the major manufacturer's to produce several versions!
Sabot
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2002 - 07:36 AM UTC
Eric, don't torture Tread with that Ontos. Send it to me and I will dispose of it properly

Just kidding, it is a nice little kit, although it suffers from age. Someone will put one out and make the Renwal/Revell kit obsolete (here's hoping).
M4Nut
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2002 - 08:37 AM UTC
Well bad news everyone , but I only have one ontos kit. I thought I saw two when I organized my stash last year but these old brain cells fooled me. I hope this doesn't get me a dishonorable discharge from this site.
Eric
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2002 - 10:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well bad news everyone , but I only have one ontos kit. I thought I saw two when I organized my stash last year but these old brain cells fooled me. I hope this doesn't get me a dishonorable discharge from this site.
Eric

Nope not at all - you just have to give up the only Ontos you have to make up for it!

Gunnie
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 02:31 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

Gunnie

Quoted Text

Happy to say - thanks to this Forum - someone did take me up on this offer (with a a little remittance involved ) and I got myself an Ontos today to mess around with!

Gunnie

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 03:46 AM UTC
A rather envious congratulations my friend!

At least I am sure it will be built by the best of hands. :-)

Please share the build with all of us.

Tread.

Heyyyyy. You think you could make some moulds for us (me)? You know, at least of the upper and lower hull pieces, and maybe the pivot piece. The 106's I could possibly get from someone else....of course the road wheels are a little different too aren't they?
Here's a question.....the tracks for the M50 look a little unique. Does it share tracks with any other AFV?
Is this enough of a confusing post or what?

O.K.......I'm done.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 04:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A rather envious congratulations my friend!

At least I am sure it will be built by the best of hands. :-)

Please share the build with all of us.

Tread.

Heyyyyy. You think you could make some moulds for us (me)? You know, at least of the upper and lower hull pieces, and maybe the pivot piece. The 106's I could possibly get from someone else....of course the road wheels are a little different too aren't they?
Here's a question.....the tracks for the M50 look a little unique. Does it share tracks with any other AFV?
Is this enough of a confusing post or what?

O.K.......I'm done.

Give me a little time to look into casting upper and lower hull halves. The detail here is either soft or incorrect outright - and in some cases both. I planned to use Skybow 106's, which is the way you'd probably go too. And, since these are in 1:35 scale, they'd look anemic on the 1:32 scale Revell kit - sooooo, a new hull will have to be scratched up in 1:35.

(I bought my '97 Thunderbird that way - get the tire, then you're compelled to get the rest of the car to use the tire on! . My wife caught on to that when it came time for the second car...)

The Road Wheels and running gear is a little unique too. I think the tracks' closest cousins are probably found in the Otter and Scorpion SPAT. I'm working on a scratched 1:35 scale Scorpion, so I'd have to make a set of tracks anyway. I have to go home and hit the Tech Manual on the Ontos to be sure.

Gunnie
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2002 - 04:30 AM UTC
Damnnnnn, Gunnie. I forgot the scale issue. Those darn Renwal kits! Anyway, no matter, I was looking at an Ontos kit that is for sale on EBay where the guy laid out the parts and you're right the detail is rather lacking and old. I really think this job calls for .......SuperModeler! And the funny thing is is that the Ontos really was rather dimunitive in size compared to an M60 for instance. Kinda like the german Greif , suprizingly small in size.

Hmmmm, now if only one could find an accomplished modeler to take on such a quest.........
Of course he would have to avoid the Knight's that go.....Nieechttt!

Tread.
 _GOTOTOP