_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Italeris 105 mm
Simon
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 878 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 01:09 AM UTC
Hi there

Recently finished Italeris old 105 mm Howitzer model (1/35). Its out-of-the-box, with no aftermarket details.

I intend to let a 21/2 tow it or any other vehicle. I am not sure what other vehicle that might have the ability to tow this kind of gun - a halftrack maybe? The setting is US forces in Normandy (June/July 1944).

The building proces was a bit painful. The continuity in the instructions were odd and there were no clear pictures of where this and that piece should be placed correctly. But I must admit that the details are quite good, in regard to the rather old kit. Its a great kit though, but I guess there might be better kits on the market.

Anyway, have a look, and feel free to comment it. Thanks in advance.

NB: It still needs some weathering!
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 01:39 AM UTC
I have a picture of a 6x6 towing a 105mm at Bastonge by an all Negro crew. It's the only pic I have in my collection showing a 6x6 with 105mm although I;ve seen it done many times in dioramas
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 03:15 AM UTC
Either a CCKW 2 1/12 ton or an M3 halftrack would have been the most common prime movers for it.
Taylornic
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 337 posts
Armorama: 332 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 04:00 AM UTC
Is the SWB 352 the more appropriate choice as prime mover, or does it really matter?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 07:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is the SWB 352 the more appropriate choice as prime mover, or does it really matter?

Both were used, depended on what the unit had. Either would be accurate.
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
KitMaker: 986 posts
Armorama: 387 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 07:30 AM UTC
i think you're off to a good start simon... paintwork looks good. can't wait to see it towed and weathered!

btw the gunsight in the 1st pic is drooping to the left... might want to fix that.

cheers.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 09:18 AM UTC
The CCKW 352 was the designated prime mover for the 105mm howitzer. A conversion of the Tamiya CCKW 353 is possible. Real models makes a conversion, kit no. 35 055, that I really thought was crude, but used as a guide to convert the Tamiya kit myself.

Also note that you need to flip the tow yoke down to the proper towing position, otherwise the gun will drag on the ground.
Simon
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 01:41 PM UTC
Thanks for your comments.

Another question: How many crewmembers handed this type of gun?

Thanks again

Simon
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 06:07 PM UTC
A howitizer section consists of 7-8 men. From the tech manual:
Quoted Text

b. The personnel of the howitzer section consists of the following:
(1) A chief of section (CS) whose duties and responsibilities include the following:
(a) Training and efficiency of crewmembers.
(b) Performance of assigned section in training; firing, testing, and adjusting fire control equipment; and
inspection and maintenance of all section equipment, including the prime mover.
(c) Observance of safety precautions.
(d) Preparation of field fortifications for protection of equipment, ammunition, and personnel.
(e) Camouflage discipline; local security; and radiological, biological, and chemical security discipline.
(f) Maintenance of forms in the equipment record holder.
(g) Policing the section area.
(h) Storage, handling, and preparation of ammunitions for firing.
(2) A gunner (G) who assists the chief of section in carrying out the duties specified in subparagraph (1) above.
The gunner’s specific duties are described in this manual.
(3) An ammunition team chief (ATC) who leads and directs the handling of ammunition and assists the chief of
section (CS) with the supervision of the howitzer section. The ammunition team chief performs duties listed in this manual
and other duties as directed.
(4) An assistant gunner (AG) who assists the gunner and, in an emergency, acts as the gunner. The assistant
gunner’s specific duties are described in this manual.
(5) Two cannoneers, numbered 1 and 2, who perform duties as listed in this manual and any other duties
directed by the chief of section.
(6) A driver (D) whose primary duty is to drive the prime mover of the section. Maintenance and other duties are
described in this manual or directed by the chief of section.

Hope this helps!
Simon
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 07:15 PM UTC
Wow, thanks Bob. It doesn't get more detailed than that huh? Thanks for your help.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2005 - 09:28 AM UTC
Glad to help, Simon.

Just to note, the section might not always be at 100% strength because of combat loses. It takes a minimum of about three guys to fire this thing, but a section would rarely be allowed to get below about five or six men because of all the work involved in the maintenance, protection and operation of the gun. In a dio of an emplaced gun, you can get away with using fewer crewmen because some would likely be off digging holes, humping ammo, peeling potatoes on KP, sleeping, pulling guard duty, or any other myriad tasks soldiers gotta do in the field. .
Simon
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2005 - 05:36 PM UTC
Hi Bob, and ohers

Regarding the personnel operating the gun, I've figured that the crew should be placed in the truck towing the gun. So I think I might make 8 men as personnel. I believe they rode with the vehicle towing the gun, or maybe in a Beep or the like?

Thanks for your help. Its appreciated.

Simon
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 01:07 AM UTC
What kind of personal weapins would the 105mm crew use? Do you think the would have Garands or carbines? What about sidearms?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 03:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What kind of personal weapins would the 105mm crew use? Do you think the would have Garands or carbines? What about sidearms?

They could be using either M1 Garands or M1 Carbines, both are correct. Officers and senior NCOs would have M1911 .45 cal pistols as well.
PSullivan
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 11:12 AM UTC
Hi Simon,

Your 105 mm looks great. I'm working on an Italieri 155 mm and from your pics I can see that the 105 mm is allot better. Keep up the good work!
13b
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 76 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 06:51 PM UTC
we still use these guns today as a salute howitzer for ceremony. we pull it with prime mover hummer.
Simon
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 12:46 AM UTC
Thanks for your replies

Quoted Text

I'm working on an Italieri 155 mm and from your pics I can see that the 105 mm is allot better

I am quite amazed of the high grade of details in this kit. It is really good, taken the age in consideration.

Nice info on the firearms btw. Thanks

Simon

_GOTOTOP