_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
"Bombs Away" - jRatz - Short Stirling
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
Armorama: 541 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 08:42 AM UTC
My entry will be the Airfix 1/72 Short Stirling -- the Rodney Dangerfield of WW2 bombers ....
I have established a "Bombs Away" album in My Gallery where the bulk of my pix will go.

Background:
The Stirling was the first of three British heavy bombers in WW2. It was not overly successful due to the Air Ministry specs. Limited to a 100' wing span so it would fit in a standard RAF hanger, it lacked high altitude performance making it more vulnerable to fighters and flak. Limited to a fuselage width that would fit in a standard packing crate, and a bad decision on the bomb-bay design, it could only carry 250 & 500-lb bombs. Once the Lancaster & Halifax came on line, the Stirling was relegated to second-line duties and finished the war, in the Mk.IV/V versions, as a glider tug, cargo plane, and parachute platform.

Modeling the Stirling:
Well, there is the Airfix kit and a 1/48 vacuform kit and that is it. There are no aftermarket parts or decal sets for the Airfix kit ...

The Kit:: A quick look.
Pros:
-- You get all the parts to make either the B.I or B.III
-- You get a bomb trailer & tractor
-- It is Airfix & scale is good
Cons:
-- Rivets & panels are inconsistent & I'll have to clean up
-- Appear to be some fit issues & that means I'll loose rivet/panel detail ...
-- Worst of all -- there are SINK HOLES, not sink marks, where the locator pins/holes are on the wings with the worst being on the upper flying surfaces !!!! Fixing these will be tough & will destroy detail around them ...

I had kit-parts pictures but a computer glitch is forcing me to work from an alternate for a while ...

I have some RAF airfield kits -- control tower, fuel trucks, etc -- that I'll probably do as part of this .... I like the Stirling, the gawky way it sits, etc ... I have another kit & may try to hack it into a MK.IV/V & find a 1/72 Airspeed Horsa to go with it ...

Looking forward to this ...

John,
who will leave the webcam to Carl ...
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 11:43 AM UTC
interesting project,John.My webcam is going to be fired up Sunday morning,and construction will commence.From having built the XB35 prop flying wing,I can forsee some major work I will have to do too.Let's see if we can maintain our sanity with these builds.

(++) (++)
almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
Armorama: 192 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 03:43 PM UTC
happy new year bomber barons! that stirling kit is one i have fond memories of from my youth, but why is it the rodney dangerfield of bombers? my plan for this one is based on the Von Schliefen plan from WW1, in that i will build an airfix 1/72 JU88 oob then get started on my "big" entry. although i'm still not sure what it will be even now!
jRatz
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 07:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

happy new year bomber barons! that stirling kit is one i have fond memories of from my youth, but why is it the rodney dangerfield of bombers?

Sorry, Rodney Dangerfield was US comedian who could never "get any respect" ...

The thought came to me when I found the lack of kits & aftermarket for the Stirling ...

John
jRatz
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 06:54 AM UTC
A quick update ....

The following picture shows al the parts with major sink holes -- you can see the outline markings -- I wish I had tried for a closeup of a few of the deeper ones ...

Anyway, I put filler in them today & will start trying to smooth them out without loosing too much detail ....

To amuse myself, I started on the tractor & four bomb trolleys -- the molding is really ugly here and the 16 trolley wheels aren't salvageable.

John
jRatz
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 06:39 AM UTC
A quick update.

Here I am sanding the filler in the sink holes, using my handy-dandy electric toothbrush sander.

I think I got the toothbrush sander idea here on Armorama -- sure wish I could remember so I could credit the guy ...

To make one, you pull the brush fibers, build a circular rod of desired length & diameter and CA that to the brush head. Then use double backed tape to hold the appropriate grade of sandpaper you want. Since brush heads come separately, you can make all sorts of configurations easily.

The advantage for this project is that I only sanded small circular areas -- yes some detail was destroyed but nowhere near what I would have done with normal sanding paper/stick.

John
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 05:06 PM UTC
You may want to put a large note on the bathroom mirror: Before brushing teeth, make sure you are not using sandpaper!

I love bombers with bombays in strange places like the wings or nacelles.
 _GOTOTOP