_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
question about the left and right engine vent
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 12:48 PM UTC
I am not sure what they are technically called, I think they are engine vents. What I am trying to find out is, on the left and right side [outside]of the Panzer IV J engine compartment are flaps or I believe vents. What are they if they are not what I am calling them? If they are vents, then are they always open?
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 01:44 PM UTC
They are inlet/outlet air vents for the cooling system. If you examine the seperate rear sections of the track guards on the Revell 1/72 kit you'll see two raised panels that are divided into four sections. These represent hinged flaps that can close off the vents if necessary. I think they would only be closed under extremely cold conditions.
tank34boss
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 39 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 02:07 PM UTC
they are air intake vents ole boy.
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 02:57 AM UTC
Thank you guys.
Hey ukgeoff,
Can you tell me if these vents were made of steel or sheet metal? I need to determine the thickness of sheet plastic to use on my 1/72nd Panzer IV J.
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 05:10 AM UTC
Wolf,
They are sheet metal covers for the engine compartment air intake. Close them up in cold weather to keep heat in the engine, open in hot weather to release heat. Made of light gage sheetmetal (not armor plate) In 1/72 scale, I would say use a heavy typing paper to fabricate them. The photoetch thickness in 1/35 scale is .005", so approx. half that for 1/72.
Just an idea......
 _GOTOTOP