_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Help with The Mafia GT
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,017 posts
Armorama: 752 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 01:07 AM UTC
Im using Legends conversion and a pic of your build Dave. I need to know the width of the armour on the doors the kit armour is different. I also need the length of the gun box. How do I need to modify the gun box. I cant tell from the pic but is the double sidewall armour correct with the tires and sandbags. One more what is the distance from the front of the gun box to where the 50's are mounted. If you have any more tips you would like to add I appreciate it. Thanks
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 02:47 AM UTC
Forgot to ask is the Mafia an A2.
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 03:44 AM UTC
First off the Mafia was built on the A2 chassis. the gun box was a single wall inside the cargo bed design. The length of the box for the AFV Club kit is 3 1/2" in length, by 1 1/2 " tall and the width of the cargo bed. The thickness of the walls were 1/2 steel boiler plate that was welded together. The Mini gun was on a triangle mounting platform. They used 2" water pipe for the three legs and also used this pipe for the two froward weapons. They used the PRC 25 radio which I think was located in the front left side of the gun box. The NCOIC usually was in this position to be nearer the driver.The mini gun came off of a destroyed UH 1 Huey. They used the ammo box/stowage from the same Chopper.In my version that I built I painted it the normal OD green with only the Armor painted black. You will notice that there is no cut away in the front of the gun box to access the trucks cab. When the truck was painted all black the crew cut out an opening to make it easier to access the cab and gun box. Also you will notice that it retained it's upright exhaust stack. These were a novelty for us on the 2 1/2 tons trucks but it was disconnected under the fender and re-run to exit out from under the right front fender. This was so that the crew did not have to ingest the fumes from the exhaust. Here is a link to some of the photos of the model and in my gallery photos here under gun trucks of Nam you can find some photos of the actual truck. The door armor was 1/2 inch plate the width of the actual doors at first.If you use the AFV Club door armor you can cut out the window portion and cut the width to the door width and will have a good example. You can do the same thing with legends door armor. Just continue the cut up to the top of the plate and forward to the front of the door and you will replicate the "L' notch opening that they had on many trucks. You won't need the double inside wall steel plate as this truck is a second generation truck and it did not have double walls.
http://community.webshots.com/album/78804839HMYegV/1
The third to the eight photo are of teh Mafia build.
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 04:40 AM UTC
Thanks Dave. The photos helped alot. Is there any GT that the legends kit would acturatley portray. Cant use all the armour provided in the kit so thats why I ask.
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 05:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Dave. The photos helped alot. Is there any GT that the legends kit would accurately portray. Cant use all the armour provided in the kit so thats why I ask.

I believe it is the Sopwith Camel. Jim Lewis built an example of this truck. Check out his gallery. He has one of the best example of this model.
 _GOTOTOP