_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
"Mod Armor" - Gunnie - ODS M93 NBCRS
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 03:09 AM UTC
Here's the start of my entry into the Modern Armored Subjects Campaign. Using Revell AG's Tpz-1 Fuchs A6 ABC (#3038) as a base kit, I'm going to model a quick & dirty conversion to represent the early M93 Fox NBCRS (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical Reconnaissance System) as given to the US from Germany - and deployed in Operation Desert Storm. I think it will turn out to be a cool paperweight in the end and good practice for a little more involved M93A1 conversion down the road.

The extra items needed to model the US variant are few and easy to add as you go for an early M93 Fox. So far, I'm a bit perplexed by the assembly of the basic kit. It seems the suspension is overly complicated - even if not all of it is in place and a bit of a bear to get to setup correctly. Then, it seems the tires are too large as well - when attached they look too wide in tread width and too large in diameter. Gotta solve that one. I also love the simple boxy shape of the Fuchs too, but was surprised at the amount of cleanup at the joins between upper and lower halves. There's a whole heping helping of filling, sanding, and filling to come yet...

Gunnie

USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 06:47 AM UTC
Looks like you are off to a good start. You're right. That suspension goes look incredibly complicated. How do you intend to paint it out, sand or 3-tone?

What goes in the turret hole?

Jeff
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 07:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks like you are off to a good start. You're right. That suspension goes look incredibly complicated. How do you intend to paint it out, sand or 3-tone?

What goes in the turret hole?

Jeff

It'll be a Desert Sand color in the end. Boring - but I'll try to make it look interesting.

The early M93 didn't have anything interesting there - other than a plug for the opening - see photo. The M93A1 has equipment mounted in this position, however...

Gunnie
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 04:25 PM UTC
Wow Jim you really are churning out these kit fast to meet your campaign deadlines eh!

That suspension certainly looks like a spiders web.

Any clues what role this vehicle played in ODS?
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
Armorama: 1,423 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 08:34 PM UTC
Nice looking Fuchs, Jim.
Since I was in a very good mood to day, and work was slow, I took my camera down in the garage and shot some pictures of our two Fuchs. They should be pretty much like the ODS version. You probably got great refs, but it never hurt to get some more :-) . Hopefully the pics can be of some use.

Cheers Erik

More pics here
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 11:16 PM UTC
Erik - thanks for the pictures! One can never have too many. I wish I had a Fuchs nearby to climb all over and under. I need all that I can get!

Jeremy - I have caught the modeling bug lately. If I can get out of the gate strong and resist temptation to keep on researching and starting other projects - then I'll make it! What inspires me most is all the other modeling activity going on Site right now. It helps in keeping me interested and focused. The M93 was rushed out to the Gulf in anticipation of chemical/bio warfare. It would be used to check for contamination after an enemy strike and mark lanes for decontamination. The crew could operate and perform their mission while protected inside the vehicle. Reports of the system's capabilities are impressive. US contractors had been trying for years to develop a vehicle to meet the US Army's specifications, but weren't completely successful. The German system based on the Fuchs came closer to the desired performance and mission parameters - and selected for development. Then, when Kuwait was invaded, the US wanted to deploy far more of them than we had in inventory. The German Government sent a sizable shipment of their own vehicles to the US for deployment. These were redesignated M93 and externally most visibly equipped with British/US style Smoke Grenade Launchers and the M240 MG in place of the German military equipment items. The early M93 Fox NBCRS vehicles appear pretty similar to their German Fuchs ABC cousins of the late '80's.

2006 New Years Resolution - I'm trying to make good on it...

Gunnie
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
Armorama: 1,423 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 11:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Erik - thanks for the pictures!

You are welcome. No problem since the Fuchs stands in the garage right next to my office. I e-mailed you the pics on the adress stated in your profile, so you could have some with better resolution.

Cheers
Erik
 _GOTOTOP