Hosted by Darren Baker
dio bldg. pics.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 04:08 AM UTC
2nd floor basically comp., I plan on adding a third floor and finishing up the little odds & ends, then primer.
Thanks fer lookin - Cheyenne

Oh yeah - found out the loving family has been using my cam since Thanksgiving and never told me - bingo - problem solved had to reset all my modeling pic. taking settings, now at least I can see the pics.

modelci2000
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 727 posts
Armorama: 194 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 04:13 AM UTC
Keep going brother it looks perfect
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 04:45 AM UTC
Not sure but I do't think that the bar code was being used back then LOL!
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 05:15 AM UTC
L.O.L., wouldn't want to go up against whatever had to pick the bldg. up and scan it.
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 08:38 AM UTC
Cheyenne, I marvel at the speed you knock these buildings out at!! I have been trying to figure out what to do for my farmhouse on my big dio and am not sure what to use, as this type building will be new to me, No log cabin this time :-) Anyway your work is fantastic!!! Can you tell use what will be on the thrid floor and what style roof are you planning? Another question will you make curved pieces and join the balconies rails? By the way thanks for telling me about the spindles I will look into them. Oh I was told about a water product that I think would be perfect for this dio's canal. Its called magic water. Some day I want to sit down and pick your brain about all these building techniques. Would love to give you a call sometime. Cheers Kevin
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 08:54 AM UTC
Opps sorry about that I forgot to include the link. Here it is
magic water
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 09:47 AM UTC
Hi Cheyenne,
Your progress is looking good, as usual, but if I may, a few observations .
What is the purpose of the building? I ask as the rooms on the second floor are quite small, and don't look like a 'domestic' house. That would make it a business or municipal building, which turns me to the question: The square pillars at the front, look like concrete structural pillars rather than ornate structural pillars. But the ballustrade ( railings) for the balconies suggest a more ornate finish to the building, which is not yet carried through in the doors and windows. This also goes with the brick walls, most buildings in Europe that were ( are..) build with 'ornate' features have the walls rendered or plastered to a smooth finish. Either that, or (especialy in Germany and some parts of Belgium and France) they would be build with the Wooden Frame outside ( Vakwerk in Dutch, I hope you know what I mean).

But that's just me looking to deep into it, I'm looking forward to see the second floor onto this, and the roof.

Cheers
Henk
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 04:40 PM UTC
Henk, thanks , what I'm going for is a 1930's , Hitler reconstruction project. A bridge, canal, municipal government authority type thing, very German efficient, art - deco, neo - comfort, yet practical type thing. In other words I'm mostly guessing and using the artistic license card.
Know what you mean about the pillars though, I'm trying to figure out how to dress the columns up a little more [ no hobby lathe ].
As for the windows I was going for alot of them on the third floor, I can always add them to the 2nd floor later [ small rectangular light emitters high up on the walls ]but I am holding off on them right now, hoping it will look more governmental like and less villa like.
Also I've found alot of bldg. pics. built with an assortment of materials for lack of quality materials, [ mostly reused ] after WWI. The ref. pics. behind the build show riverfront bldgs. built with stone or brick foundations, stone and brick mixed together, first and second floors etc. One bldg. alone had Vakwerk, stone and brick all used for a second floor and also had timber verandas porches and balconys.
Oh and thanks for the proper Dutch term , always wondered what that was called.
Henk thanks again - Cheyenne
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 10:49 PM UTC
Cheyenne, Have you tired checking out craft stores usch as hobby lobby or micheals, etc... check the wedding decpration isles as they have a lot of different size ornate pillars there. If you cant find something suitable there check our a place like pet smart or a aquarium place there rare tons of underwater scenery that have pillars and they are usually made from resin. The best thing about these two options is that it is really very cheap compared to buying actual "diorama" stuff from a hobby shop. Cheers Kevin
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 11:47 PM UTC
Thanks Kevin, I'll give them a try - use Michaels all the time for balsa stuff, at decent prices too.
Sorry I didn't answer earlier, did you get my p.m. ?
The balcony ends have been addressed this morning with ornate type thingies, I'll try and get as much done on the 3rd floor and post some more prog. pics. tonight before the last Mon. night game [ r.i.p. , till Sept. 06 ].
Simon
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 878 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 11:57 PM UTC
Looking good. Can't wait to see it painted.

Simon
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 01:34 AM UTC
Sorry, couldn't resist, eggnog + rum + digi - cam = this.
Cheyenne

_GOTOTOP