_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M-26 Tamiya Build
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 01:03 AM UTC
Friends--Dagger and I started a M-26 OOB project. We are at the inceptionn stage (wash the plastic, read the instructions, etc.) and will start the cutting and gluing tonight. So, if you want to either follow along or join in please feel free to contribute to our updates.

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 12:35 PM UTC
I have seen on some vehicles that there are serial numbers on the mantlet of some M26s and not on others. Which is correct, w/ or w/out serial numbers?
I too am building the Tamiya jewel and am almost complete. It is being done as the Marine varient in Korean war for a dio with a knocked out T 34/85 and DML USMC at Chosin Resevoir figures in a snow scene. I will post photos soon.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 12:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have seen on some vehicles that there are serial numbers on the mantlet of some M26s and not on others. Which is correct, w/ or w/out serial numbers?

Mostly all the Pershings had casting numbers - in fact - the whole tank is festooned with casting numbers. Before I built my M45 Pershing conversion, I had fortune to photograph and look closely at a M26 Pershing under restoration. Casting numbers are in places you'd not readily imagine. If you have opportunity to do so, adding the casting numbers to the Mantlet would be a nice detail addition.

Gunnie
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 01:50 AM UTC
Gunnie---thanks. Do I need to texture the hull and turret? I bought that 500 series GS product you mentioned and the brushes....can you refresh my mind on where I go from here.
thanks
DJ
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 525 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 02:13 AM UTC
Gunnie:
How do you add the numbers to the mantlet ?? That will be a new trick for me.
OPH and I Just Noticed, I'm a Lt Col...MAN, How Time does fly !!

DAGGER-1
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 03:39 AM UTC
Dagger,
All you need to do is carefully shave the parts numbers off of a spue and glue them onto the mantlet or wherever else you need them. Works quite well.

Gunny,
Any other prominent mold serial numbers missing that need to be added?

Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 04:05 AM UTC
(:-) OH Okay, Cool, I'll try that. Thanks Arty !!

DAGGER-1
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 04:09 AM UTC
I'll guess I will get into this build. I have the M26 ust sitting there waiting for paint. Just let me know when you guys get to that stage.
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 04:15 AM UTC
" ALL RIGHT PETE".....It will probably be about a week or so for me.. BUT Absolutely I will let you know.

DAGGER-1
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 04:27 AM UTC
I am currently at about the sme stage as Pete. I'll post some photos whenever you guys get to the pre-painting/ painting stage.
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 04:46 AM UTC
(:-) Sounds Good Arty: Hopefully it won't be long.

DAGGER-1
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 04:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunnie:
How do you add the numbers to the mantlet ?? That will be a new trick for me.
OPH and I Just Noticed, I'm a Lt Col...MAN, How Time does fly !!

DAGGER-1

I mentioned to Kencelot that I'd be building another Pershing (M26 or 'A1) too - but I won't be able to join in with you guys until I'm settled in my new home after the beginning of next year.

You can add the casting numbers by shaving off old sprue numbers. That is perhaps the easiest. I''ve also used Archer dry-transfers for casting marks, with limited success. The problem is that they're too thin - and disappear underneath the paint coats. I've tried doubling them up - one on top of the other - but that's more tricky than the end result is worth. I did this to the turret of my M45 Pershing - and I can see it - but only because I know it's there. No one else can...

Gunnie
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 05:04 AM UTC
(:-) Ahhhh GUNNIE You WIMP-OUT...NEXT YEAR ?? That's too late, We WANT YOU TO DO IT NOW !!!...LOL, Just kidding GUNNIE.. Yeah Arty Mentioned about trying the sprue idea.
Sounds like a winner to me. How far are you moving. As in across town, Another city. etc ??
I wish you a swift and easy move. I hope to not have to do that again anytime soon. BUT May
have to this coming Summer depending on how things go with this rental house. Will keep youi folks posted on that too. MEANWHILE, I am also building mine as the Korean War vehicle.. I went and bought some of the needed paints for it over the week end. And will be starting some work on it later today !!!

DAGGER-1
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 05:10 AM UTC
Nah - local move - less than thirty miles. I was considering accepting an offer to relocate to San Diego, but turned it down. December is usually a great time for me to get modeling projects wrapped up too. Oh well, more left to begin a new year...

Gunnie
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 05:29 AM UTC
(:-) Well then Hopefully the move will go easily.. Yeah I agree, And I still have enough to do, On top of the M-26 project.

DAGGER-1
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 01:43 PM UTC
I have some A/M photoetch casting numbers,byKMC.12 sets of 1- 9 plus extra 0's.and 2 alphabets,and 1 set of smaller size numbers.P/N 35-2002 I snagged it back in '97 .Can't wait to try 'em.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 01:07 AM UTC
I started on her last night (the tank model not Mommy). Anyway, the hull is beautiful. The parts adhere with little or no positioning required. I built the M-26 by other companies and thorouhly enjoyed them. Tamiya has once again created a masterpiece kit. If you do not have it, I urge you to get one. If you have it, build it. Question---do I need to texture the hull and turret? Gunnie has a process using GS 500 and swirling it. Should this be done?
thanks
DJ
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 01:35 AM UTC
(:-) And I also started my M-26 last night No problems with mine, And like DJ, I am enjoying thjis Tamiya Kit. AS I knewe I would . I manged to get thru steps 1 thru 3 last night before calling it a night. Will do more on it tonight. HOWEVER this project has a little competion. This Is The Week of Sci-Fi's TAKEN. So between trying to Keep current on this mini-series and get the work done on the M-26, is pretty tough, LOL HEY, I dont hardly watch TV all that much as is. !!! LOL

DAGGER-1
 _GOTOTOP