_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
info on early M50 sherman ?
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 08:19 AM UTC
Hello guys !

I just got myself an M50 sherman in 1/35 th by a small company called Best value Models.
In the box, I found italeri and DML plastic, PE, white metal, a metal barrel, and lots of resin...
All this is for an early M50 in 1957.

My problem is I have no idea whatsoever about the decoration... I don't know about the colors nor the markings... Who could be of some help ?
Bluefalcon47
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 255 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 09:03 AM UTC
Penpen,

Je suis moitié français! But so that everyone can read this, I will continue in English
Sounds like a very cool kit you got!!! I think I might start searching for it :-)
I have the DML M50, for which I also have an Aber set.
For information, there is a good french site, that you can refer to:
http://idfmodelling.free.fr/
It has good information on colors. For marking options, I can recommend the Concord book "Tank Battles of the Mid-East Wars (1) The wars of 1948-1973". Another useful source of information is the Verlinden Warmachines no.4 "Israeli M4 Sherman and derivatives".
If you more specific questions, let me know, I will see what I can do. Currently I am working on the Academy M60A1 Blazer, which I will more or less build straight from the box. Perhaps I will get the Italeri/ex-Esci M60A1 Blazer later and go "all the way" on that one #:-)
HTH!
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 09:43 AM UTC
Thank you bluefalcon, i had forgotten to check that site !

And sorry, because I think that you're gonna have HUGHE difficulties finding the kit I just got... It can only be found in 1 shop : AZIMUT in Paris. And I got the last box !
Also, they've got an egyptian sherman, with FL10 turret, I'm eyeng with interest...
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 11:50 AM UTC
pen pen if your going to build and paint you vehicle from 1956 the color you'll need is the brownish shade of OD. as to markings there is a good overhead shot of the blue and white cross as used on those vehicles diuring the 56 campaign. you would also have the vehicle number on both sides of the hull aproximately above the first wheel set. the engine deck would be the original M4a1 style as the cummins engine would not as yet been available. if you look at the pic in mid east wars #1 page24 you'll see aclumn of new M50s the one in the rear on the right even has duck bill track

Josh WEingarten aka shiryon
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 10:20 PM UTC
Thank you josh !
 _GOTOTOP