_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Dragon T-80 w/ERA -- Questions
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 11:43 AM UTC
Hi all,

I picked up the Dragon T-80 w/ERA (3505) about 12 years ago (when Dragon first appeared in SA) and haven't got round to building it....

One of my New Years resolutions is to actually build some armour.... so what better than something already in my stash?

My questions pertain to AM products for the beast...

1.) Is the Eduard PE set 35324 for the T-80 UD suitable for the version I have?
2.) Is the Barrel Depot 35011 "T-80 tank 2A46M 125mm gun barrel" okay for the above kit?

And then...

Does anyone have any info about the operation deployment of the T-80 - specifically the later versions such as the one I have?

Sorry about the seemingly dumb questions... but Soviet armour definitely ain't my scene... :-)

TIA

Rudi
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 11:50 AM UTC
Hi Tarok,
you can use the barrel as Dragon one if off sized.
As far as Eduard PE set is concerned, I don't know if it is for the dragon kit. The best to do is to check their website. They always display the recommended kit with their references.

As far as operational life is concerned, have a look at the concord book about the T-80's series. There are some pics of them used in Chechnya with poor success unfortunately for their crews.

olivier
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 01:41 PM UTC
Thanks Olivier.

Just discovered the kit is a T-80BV... so I'm guessing the Eduard UD PE set won't work...

Also just came across this article by Jacques... Correct T-80?

Hey Jacques... any chances of you doing an updated article on this subject (and other Soviet subjects) for ArmoramA?

TIA

Rudi
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 09:05 PM UTC
Well, I would love to do updated articles...but the time...who has the time...? :-)

Anyhow, I will defiantely keep it in mind for the next time I decide to update the info page, probably sometime this spring/summer when I decide to tackle a T-80 with all the new SP Designs stuff out to make a awesome kit.

As for the PE, yes, the DML kit really needs it and as you stated, the -UD set is not intended for the T-80BV. You could probably use a fair number of the pieces, but for your money's worth, it is best to use ED35328 T-80B set.

But most of all, have fun! (and ask any questions if you need to...you can't ask a bad question when it comes to russian armor. )
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 06:48 PM UTC
Thanks Jacques,

I know the Eduard PE set you refer to... is it worth while buying the express mask set for the T-80's wheels as well?

Another question....

I bought this crew set all those moons ago when buying the tank, not thinking at the time if they would be suitable.... I believe the set is now OOP...

Is this crew suitable for the above T-80? What sort of theatre could I do these two kits together in? The Afghan? I've also got the Spetznaz kit from the same time.... hoping to lump the whole bunch together..... Suggestions???

All help is greatly appreciated!

TIA

Rudi
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 12:26 AM UTC
The wheel masks are only usefull if you are the kind of modeller who uses them...I do not so they are not valuable to me, but other people probably love them.

As for the figures, they should work just fine. Going by the colors on the box front should also be ok. As for the Spetz-nasties, they probably would not be hanging around armour (special ofrces and all) but you can also use them, although the body armour style is a bit old. However, the russians being who they are and NEVER throwing anything away, I am sure the olders style body ormor is still in use somewhere.
 _GOTOTOP