_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Using pigments - questions
Foxy
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 332 posts
Armorama: 220 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 12:45 PM UTC
Hello folks,

I decided to use pigments for the first time. I already read the MIG-article on pigments, but I think there are still a few basic questions left.

Hope someone can clarify these ones for me:

1. I understand that there are two ways applying pigments. Dry or with the help of turpentine. Do you have to apply the turpentine after you used trhe pigments and isn't there the risk of washing them away?

2. Once to applied the pigments do to still seal the model with flat cote?
Doesn' t that for example destroy the dusty look?

3. What medium is better for applying: Turpentine or acrylic thinner?

I'm also looking for further tips on this topic. So if you guys know some additional links/articles don't hesitate to post them
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
Armorama: 969 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 04:47 PM UTC
Hope this is helpful, it is from Mig.

AS to an overcoat, I think it destroys the required finish.

John
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,299 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 05:00 PM UTC
I could be wrong but I thought that u flat or dull coat the model after painting and then weather it? I could be wrong though.

Foxy
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 332 posts
Armorama: 220 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 04:55 PM UTC
thx john and brian.

i already knew that table, but i don't think that it answers my question totally. It refers more or less to various possible application methods to achieve certain results. But before i wanted to get the basics clarified.

regarding the flat coat finish i have to agree and already thought that myself. on the other hand i read that you should not touch your model after you applied the pigment-stuff. so how to handle your model?

are there any pigment-user out there, who like to share their experiences?
SKurj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 235 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 06:44 PM UTC
Well the pigment is basically dust... handling the model will steadily remove the stuff. You can apply a flat coat after applying pigments but you will find that it will make a lot of the "dusting" dissappear. I am told the trick is to over do the dusting and then seal it, but only practice will tell you by how much.
Braystaff
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 154 posts
Armorama: 77 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 09:57 PM UTC
I used MIG pigments on a 1:72 Leopard the other day and I was very happy with results. I then sprayed a matt coat over the model to "seal in" the dust, and it all but disappeared; all my intricate mud and streak marks vanished. I was left with a tank that just looked darker.

So I don’t think that’s the answer and I’ve never had any joy using turpentine but I can’t get it to work.

I think next time I use them I’ll just not handle the model after applying.
Salvo
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
Armorama: 182 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 10:10 PM UTC
Same thing happen to me. I used pigments on my 1/72 M3 Lee and then tried to seal it. The overall pigment effect was lost. I plan on securing it to it's base then as a last step using pigments again.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 12:19 AM UTC
THe difference between pigments and chalks is that the pigments are "pure" color and do not have any of the "binder" that is put into chalk to make them into sticks. Pigments are also used to make actual colors in real paint...like the enamels and acrylics we use.

One advantage pigments have is that, if there is not sealing coat between them and the applied paint, that they will actaully start to change the color of the paint. And they "stick" to a model MUCH better than chalk dust does. But alas, they do wear off with a lot of movement, so care, as always, must be taken.

I applied pigments on my US Army SdKfz 251/1 and have handled it a bit without any noticeable loss of pigment. However, it is not getting played with on the rug either... :-)
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 12:36 PM UTC
I'm in no way an expert in the use of pigments, but I have used them on a few occasions, with excellent results.

1) As far as I know Mig applies the pigments first and then add a few drops of turpentine. As for the risk of washing of the pigments. I can't tell, since I have only applied pigments dry.

2) I wouldn't seal it. I'm quite sure the dust effect will disappear. I haven't sealed any of my models after the application of dust.

3) Haven't tried either, but I would go for the turpentine as described in the article.

Once I needed pigments in a specific color, so I mixed two two shades of Mig pigments dry, in a bowl. I didn't get a uniform color this way, so I added a few drops of Humbrol thinner and them mixed the colors. Once the thinner had dried, the two colors were perfectly mixed.

How about painting a piece of sheet plastic, with your favorit armor color and experiment with that. Applying pigments using various application methods. Wouldn't ruin a good paintjob this way.
 _GOTOTOP