_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
SKIF D-30M Built - Iraqi from DS
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 08:51 PM UTC
Welcome one and all. Here is my rendition of the Skif D-30M 122mm artillery piece, as modelled for Desert Storm. What places it there? The Marine/GI in the old "chocolate chip" pattern cammo.

Anyhow, this piece is built OOB with just a bit of filling and sanding (not really that bad). Biggest problem was the main piece over the top of the breech, where the two carriage halves meet. Over the top, they did not meet and it should have been one solid piece. So it needed to be filled. Otherwise, not a bad kit, though a bit fiddly.

Painted in Model Master and PollyS acrylics. "Distressing" was done by first painting it in MM dark green, then applying rubber cement in various places, then painting it PollyS NATO tri-brown, then painting it MM US Army/Marines Desert tan. Next, I removed the rubber cement (tedious) and then started shading/highlighting and weathering. I just added additional rust weathering to help give it a beat up look.

My favorite part was doing the base, a first for me. It is just mortar grout on a piece of sanded insulation, just like Verlinden do. Works like a charm. Once it had started to dry out, I impressed the gun, figure, and footprints/wheel tracks. Then I lifted all pieces out and let the base dry. Next, just a series of drybrushing.

Now that the experiment is succesfull, on to bigger and better dio's! Moral of the story: Do not be afraid to try something new.
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
Armorama: 1,423 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 09:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Do not be afraid to try something new.

You are so right, Jaques.
Good looking D-30. Your model capture the rather distinct looks of this artillery piece.

Cheers
Erik
 _GOTOTOP