_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Lit Cigarette
AIRB842586
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 261 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 04:49 PM UTC
Hey,

On DigitalDioramas.Com I just finished reading the most interesting article. I know some of you are regulars to DD, so maybe this is just new to me. It was a 1/35 diorama of a French street at night with an officer smoking a cigarette under a streetlight. The streetlight was lit with grain of wheat bulbs but he simulated a lit cigarette with a fiber-optic wire!

The wire was heated and stretched like a sprue until it looked like a cigarette. He ran it between the figure's fingers, into the body, out the foot and into the wall. By the fingers the wire was painted white and he made red ashes with a felt-tip pen. It looked very convincing. Just thought I'd share that, it was a beautifully done scene.

GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 01:35 AM UTC
How much too far can you go in detailing ?
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 01:59 AM UTC
Hi!
I did a lit cigarete in a german 1/35 soldier some time ago, I just use a piece of white stretched sprue and to simulate the smoke on it, I put some glue on the tip of the cigarete wait for a while and than I touched with cotton and pulled back, the very few cotton fibers that got glued gave the exact impression of smoke, easy and right! :-)
Cheers
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 03:32 PM UTC
I dunno..... even the slightest breeze in 1/1 scale disapates the ciggie smoke quite easily, nevermind what it would do in 1/35th scale.

If anything, I would think that a single thin strand from a cotton ball would work.

cough, cough... choke, choke...

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 08:37 PM UTC
I saw it :

I wasn't that much impressed with the sigarette as i was with the nice dio background. Only then I discoverd that this whole dio is available as an off-the shelf kit (well, there's lots of fun to be done with it before serving to the audience :-) :-) :-) )

The whole thing is available fromMonroeperdu for 30USD. They seem to have other interesting stuff, too.
Nice feature article, btw (not that Armorama is doing poorly ).
Thanks for pointing this one out, Matt !

Jan

_GOTOTOP