_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Vietnam
All things Vietnam
Hosted by Darren Baker
35th SA-2(S-75...) Viet SAM missile refs...?
Clumber
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
Armorama: 47 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 04:40 AM UTC
Looking for N. Vietnam refs for the SAM

Hey all!

I couldn't stand it and picked up the 35th scale Trumpeter SA-2 Missile on Launcher, and I would like to end up displaying it next to a Trump 32nd Wild Weasel F-105 (eventually... that will be after saving some $$$ for that sucker!). So I want to make a North Vietnamese SA-2 as it would have been being the WW Thud's Adversary.

Some of the refs that I have found online (and there are a lot more refs on the SA-2 or S-75 than I would have guessed!) mention that it was very common for the N. Vietnamese to apply somewhat random camo using whatever paint and foliage handy in the area. I was not able to find any good-ish photos of a couple examples of this, though, so I am not certain how to approach it.

I am hoping that some Armorama-ers may have more knowledge or have seen refs?

Assuming they were delivered white/grey, then field painted... - proably right over the stenciling? Also assuming that the launchers might not be in the most pristine condition?? Pretty banged-up and rust in some areas? The blast/flame-guard thing would show scorch marking?

Brief in-the-box review: Very nifty kit - very nicely molded detail, extensive decal sheet (I bet that will take 25% of my total build time!), and plastic-wise a very nice kit! Instructions are going to be the challenge, clearly. I wish there were a couple figures, but I am sure I will get over that. :-) A good kit, in-box anyhow, of a subject that I have to say has not been well-served so far.

Happy 2006 all!!

TIA!

tracy
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 813 posts
Armorama: 522 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 09:28 AM UTC
Hi Tracy,
I've built two of those SAMs for clients, but don't know much about the Vietnam versions. I asked a similar question last summer, regarding SA-2s.
Go back through the AFV forum on Vietnam armour and you will see a thread on SA-2s used on the Ho Chi Minh trail by Joker, read through it, some good tips and advice there.
A word about the kit,I had no luck on getting the launcher to move up and down on the rachet system provided by Trumpeter so I ended up keeping the missle at a fixed height and be careful about aligning the missle sections as it's very easy to get them off centre as the glueing surface is quite small.
If you have any questions just ask
Cheers
Joker
 _GOTOTOP