_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Lend Lease At Barbarossa?
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 12:52 PM UTC
Does anyone know if any allied lend lease vehicles were used during Operation Barbarossa?
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 01:18 PM UTC
http://www.islandnet.com/~citizenx/Stalins3.html

Ken - here's a link to a brief dissertation on US Lend-Lease vehicles supplied to the Russians during the time of Operation Barbarossa.

Gunnie
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 01:42 PM UTC
I believe this article shows some vehicles that could have been lend-leased after Barbarossa occurred. Appears to be a war game rule that gives the players some potential US options.

The Russians were not at war with Germany and they had the pact between them that split Poland. Barbarossa was Russia's Pearl Harbor. Germany caught them unprepared and the Allies sent equipment to support the USSR.

That being said, it wouldn't matter to me if it was really there or not. Basically that it is an early war vehicle as opposed to a JS3, M4A3E8 or Tiger II. I would think that an M4A2 and certainly a Grant or Lee in USSR markings would work as well as US light tanks or British early tanks. Although it kind of takes the fun out of finding an early Russian tank to do. I had wanted to do a T-34, but I guess I can dig out a T-50, T-60 or T-70 that I have kicking around.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 03:02 PM UTC
The most important item the US sent to the Soviets were trucks, trucks and more trucks. About any truck in the US inventory in 1942 would qualify. I am reading the history of the German campiagn in the east published by the Chief Military History, US Army and there is a reference to US built trucks, DEC 42, bringing forward troops and supplies through the mud, snow and ice, where German and Russian trucks were stuck.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 03:20 PM UTC
Yes, those were my thoughts too. Though the link is to a gaming site - it isn't that unreasonable to assume the information is based on thoughtful consideration - if not hard fact. They didn't go as far as trying to list Lend-Lease Pershings!

Gunnie
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 01:11 AM UTC
What do you consider the time period of Operation Barbarossa? If you consider it to be until the winter of 1941/1942 then I think that the answer is no. We started sending the Russians aid after the Germans attacked and even if we decided to send the aid the day that the Germans attacked, I don't think that it would have reached the frontlines until late winter or early spring of 1942.

I will go home and look at my references to back this up and get back to you to let you know for sure.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 04:31 AM UTC
I have two references that state that US trucks were sent to the Soviets during the Barbarossa period, though tanks and aircraft were not in sufficient numbers in US inventory to send many of those. One of the major problems that the US had during the wargames of the 1941-42 were a shortage of trucks to move the infantry divisions - as most had already gone to the Soviets, and there was a shortage of cargo hulls to move US forces to Iceland, Hawaii and Panama, etc., as they were being used to ship lend-lease to USSR - this was in 1941.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 05:09 AM UTC
This thread is approaching one that might be better placed in the History Club. See what happens when you offer a little bit of information...

Gunnie
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 08:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This thread is approaching one that might be better placed in the History Club. See what happens when you offer a little bit of information...

Gunnie

Gunnie--we need to encourage our fellow Soldiers to use the History Forum more often. I appreciate your advertising the fact.
 _GOTOTOP