_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
"WHEELS" Piotr's Dodge part 1
PiotrS
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 02:16 PM UTC
This is my first entry to Wheels campaign. It's Dodge WC51 from AFV Club dressed up with Part PE and some scratchbuilding. Basic kit is excellent and I recommend it to everyone from beginers to advanced builders. PE fret is useful but I don't like it. Many parts are very small and construction is tricky, on the other hand many details which needs improvement are not included in Part set. Best example is Browning M2 - Part gives only barrel cover (with wrong number of holes!) and new mount, nothing for ammo can holder very thick moulded in this kit. For MG I'll use Aber set from spare box.
Chassis and driver's cab are almost ready for priming, cargo box is still under construction.
There are photos:

Hope you like it
Piotr
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 03:50 PM UTC
Very nicely done. This is the old Skybow kit and for folk who would like an OOB kit which is quite detailed the series of Dodge kits from Skybow/AFV is supurb.

Your workmanship shows up very well with what we can see in the photos.

Cheers
Cliff
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 04:29 PM UTC
For an OOTB kit, it sure has quite a lot of PE parts. Love what you have done with it so far. How did you get the rust on the pipes?
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 04:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

For an OOTB kit, it sure has quite a lot of PE parts. Love what you have done with it so far. How did you get the rust on the pipes?

Jazza it is not an OOB kit. It has a Part PE set added to it.

Cheers
Cliff
PiotrS
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 06:34 PM UTC
Thanks for your comments guys. Mr Roo is right, it's ex-Skybow kit, so far best OOB Dodge on the market but I decided to make it a little better
For rust on exhaust I used pigments and artists oils. I'll apply some more washes after final painting.
Forgot to write it in previous post - the bonnet is scratchbuilded from beer can, in Part's set there are only sides. Also grill is modified because in my opinion PE grill looked too thin and fragile. I made new one from wire. On the photos there're a lot of dust from sanding and of course it will be removed before painting.

Piotr
EasyOff
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
Armorama: 356 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 06:52 PM UTC
How do you do a search for PE parts for a vehicle that you want to PE? I'm going to start the US 2 1/2-ton 6x6 Cargo truck in world war two fashion and I'd like to see what's around to add to this truck. (laugh, can you tell that i've been out of the loop for a while or what?)
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 09:48 PM UTC
Very nice Piotr - it's looking to shape up into a nice rendition so far.

Gunnie
KitMaker: 4,303 posts
Armorama: 1,051 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 11:56 PM UTC
Great looking truck so far! Very nice hood!
PiotrS
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 01:21 AM UTC
Thanks again, I'm glad you like my little Dodge

Quoted Text

How do you do a search for PE parts for a vehicle that you want to PE? I'm going to start the US 2 1/2-ton 6x6 Cargo truck in world war two fashion and I'd like to see what's around to add to this truck. (laugh, can you tell that i've been out of the loop for a while or what?)

Usually first I check internet shops like jadar or martola. If have a choice I prefer Aber, next Part (but not for Dodge ) and finally Eduard. There's a local hobby shop here in Warsaw which holds all those lines so I can make a "live comparision"
I suppose you are going to build GMC CCKW so you can pick Aber - very comprehensive and detailed set. Remember that there're two different sets, for Tamiya or Italeri kit. I'm sure Eduard also makes a set for GMC it should be much easier to build but less detailed.

Piotr
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 02:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How do you do a search for PE parts for a vehicle that you want to PE? I'm going to start the US 2 1/2-ton 6x6 Cargo truck in world war two fashion and I'd like to see what's around to add to this truck.

Both Eduard and Aber do sets for this kit. I would buy the Aber as I found it easier and better then the Eduard PE set. Aber also does a set for the re-released hard top cab Italeri GMC as well.

Google search for Aber and Eduard . I know Eduard has their own web site but not sure about Aber.

Cheers
Cliff
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
KitMaker: 1,569 posts
Armorama: 1,385 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 04:13 AM UTC
Great job, love the high level of detail you gave to the engine...keeep it up!

cheers
EasyOff
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
Armorama: 356 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 07:07 PM UTC
Thanks for the help Mr Roo and Piotr. I look into that a.s.a.p. I never worked with PE before, I hope I don' t need that expensive bendy tool. I don't have one yet.
PiotrS
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 07:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I hope I don' t need that expensive bendy tool. I don't have one yet.

I don't have any special tool too. All you need are good tweezers or pliers. And don't try to use all parts at the beginning. Producers tend to include many parts which are imposible to bend or won't be visible after assembly.

Piotr
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2006 - 02:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the help Mr Roo and Piotr. I look into that a.s.a.p. I never worked with PE before, I hope I don' t need that expensive bendy tool. I don't have one yet.

I don't have one either. A small steel ruler as a clamp and lift the piece with a razor blade. Plus tweezers and pliers.

cheers
Cliff
 _GOTOTOP