_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
cutting open moulded doors
outremer
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 07:41 PM UTC
Wie Gehts? I have an old Tamiya panther ausf a i am going to build. My first Panther(same type of kit) turned out nice a few years ago ,but i want to put more detail on the new one as i am(i hope) getting better at building models. One question however, I can never get one on those molded hatches to look realistic aftyer i have scribed ,cut, cursed them off. Anyone have a method of getting like the engine deck off a panther without going bonker? ["Fortune Favors the Brave"]
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 01:08 AM UTC
Yeah, get an aftermarket kit. I have never successfully gotten an engine hatch off without having to replace it. By the number of responses so far, I would say that few others have found an adequate way to do it either.

Rob
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 07:54 AM UTC
outremer,
First of all welcome. As for your question, I always use nonwax dental floss. I know it sound crazy but it works #:-) . First you drill a small hold where you want to start your cutting. Then you carefully slide the floss in and out untill in cuts thru what you want. #:-)
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 07:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

outremer,
First of all welcome. As for your question, I always use nonwax dental floss. I know it sound crazy but it works #:-) . First you drill a small hold where you want to start your cutting. Then you carefully slide the floss in and out untill in cuts thru what you want. #:-)

That is the first I ever heard of that technique and I have to try it! I carefully take a chisel blade and cut the above base plastic from the hatch (hinges, handles, etc). Then, I sand followed by a brushing with 0000 steel wool the area. Came out nice on the LVT4. But, I want to try the dental floss routine....Kool #:-)
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 08:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

outremer,

That sounds like a great technique. I will also have to try it. Thanks

Rob
jackhammer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 357 posts
Armorama: 310 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 08:54 AM UTC
I have heard of this technique used for cut-away models.I,personally,have never used it.
I use the reverse side of a #11 exacto blade to scribe the recessed line.I will attempt the floss technique on my M-10 engine deck though.Wish me luck!
(:-)
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 09:11 AM UTC
Hey guys thank you for the nice words about my posting. But were I got the idea was from my dentist. He builds models also!! #:-) #:-) LOL Ain't that hoot
Gunfighter45
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 04:38 PM UTC
DENTAL FLOSS?? OK , I never heard this one and my first thought is someone has been drinking thinner again . It sounds crazy enough to work . Do you have to thin the plastic any before you start cutting?
 _GOTOTOP