_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
How to create canvas...?
SKurj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 235 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 06:36 AM UTC
I am building the DML StuG III Ausf. C/D.

The C and D's in reality had a canvas cover mounted between the mantlet and the superstructure to keep the dirt out. I am thinking of trying to replicate this with tin foil but have no clue how to texture the foil once in place.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Martyn
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 07:37 AM UTC
Try tissue paper and diluted white glue. It dries to a similar texture as canvas, and takes paint much better. It's also easier to create realistic folds.

Cheers
Henk
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 10:51 AM UTC
White glue and tissue are the standard method, but I also like to use epoxy putty, like A+B or milliput (although I don't use Milliput myself, many do).

You have a long working time and, with moistened tools and some patience, you can get very realistic folds as well as tension creases and even, as the putty hardens somewhat, you can emboss the shapes of underlying fasteners and the like. Plus, you can sand and file it if the shape is too large or add more putty if the shpe needs more volume.

While there is definitely a texture to the tissue method, if you look at a piece of canvas from 20+ feet away, you can't actually see any texture at all. It is very matt, which fools the mind into thinking there is a texture visible, but you can't really see the weave of the material. Hessian or burlap you can see, so tissue is good for camo net strips or really coarse fabrics, but I like epoxy putty for normal canvas or personal bags and the like.

HTH

Paul
SKurj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 05:21 PM UTC
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

What is the suggested dilution for the white glue with tissue paper method?

Not sure which route I will go yet. I made the mistake of already mounting the mantlet and gun to the vehicle, so first I have to see if I can get it apart without destroying anything. If I cannot do that I shall have to improvise....

Martyn
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
KitMaker: 1,569 posts
Armorama: 1,385 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 11:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What is the suggested dilution for the white glue with tissue paper method?

My call itīs for a 50/50, I ve tried that way and works great
Tapper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 664 posts
Armorama: 484 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 11:33 PM UTC
Sometimes the tissue has that "Fuzzy" look to it so I make sure and give it a thin coat of glue after it has dried. This flattens the fuzz and helps give it a smoother look.
Hawkeye
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 701 posts
Armorama: 640 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 01:08 AM UTC
Not sure if this is of any help, but why not use something like grease proof paper or tracing paper? There is no "fuzzyness" to it, but i do not know if it would work with the white glue. I am guessing it might not, anyone every tried this method?

Regards from the Swamp

Hawkeye
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Armorama: 684 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 02:33 AM UTC
One technique which has worked well for me is to use tissue and a wash. I use acrylics almost exclusively, and also do a lot of painting by hand. I wind up with a bottle that I've used to clean off my brushes which is some sort of a brownish/OD color, much like faded canvas would be. If it's not quite the right shade, I'll darken or lighten it with just a few drops of paint.

Using a very large brush (3 or 4) I'll "paint" this wash over the tissue (pre cut to size ahead of time) and form it over the area I want to mount it as I soak it through. I'll usually wind up with several coats. When the wash dries, not only is the "canvas" in place and solid, conforming to any bows that are on the vehicle, it's the right color as well.

Tom
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 425 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 02:36 AM UTC
You don't want anything like grease proof paper/waxed paper that won't soak up the glue mixture. You want the glue to soak in and harden the tissue as it dries so it holds the shape.
SKurj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 02:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sometimes the tissue has that "Fuzzy" look to it so I make sure and give it a thin coat of glue after it has dried. This flattens the fuzz and helps give it a smoother look.

Hi Tapper,

What type of glue would you use for this thin coat?

SKurj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 02:42 AM UTC
OOps next question....

What colour should the canvas be? At first glance it looks to be the same colour as the vehicle (dark grey/blue) but its a black and white photo +)
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 02:54 AM UTC
If you go to my thread on my Scratch built CMP https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/67484&page=1 you will see what foil looks like when used to create 'canvas' as this is what I used to create the rear tilt on this truck..

cheers
Cliff
 _GOTOTOP