_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Testor's red putty and Zimmerit
KMM
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 03:12 PM UTC
Has anyone tried using the Testor's red putty for Zimmerit on German tanks? I read the great article about zimming on the front page, unfortunately none of the hobby shops in my area seem to carry the zimm-it-rite putty, and the squadron green putty melts the plastic - probably not a good thing for a first time zimmerit job. I've used the testors putty for filing gaps, etc. and it was pretty easy to work - and you can get a huge tube for $5
Anyone have an opinion or advice?
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 06:03 PM UTC
I use the red model master puty for all my gap filing. I like the stuff but it also has some melting effects on the plastic so you may have the same problem as you would with the green putty. You may want to test it because the melting effects don't seem that drastic, but I have never used a bunch of it in a large area. Good luck, wish I could help more.
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 06:34 AM UTC
Hey KMM, me again,,,,
Testors or Model Master red putty can be used for zimmerit. I have tried it, but it tends to "skin" over quickly and the best material to thin it with is Testors Liquid Cement.. So, if you use the red putty, be sure to at least have an window open. The red does stick to the plastic, no doubt about it.
KMM
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 06:59 AM UTC
thanx guys, I'll give it a try. It's a cheap PzIV kit, so I'm kind of doing some experimenting on it.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 09:06 AM UTC
KMM, I just found out about this company: Cavalier an Australian company that manufactures a range of flexible zimmerit sets. A new poster "Herberta" posted in the folder
"Best places to buy online" . The store is located in Australia - of course, but the prices seem pretty good...about $12 U.S. for your Panzer...plus shipping. The site lists prices in Australian dollars...which is about 52cents U.S. to their dollar.

Maybe this helps...

http://www.afvhobbies.com/
KMM
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 11:25 AM UTC
I've seen the cavalier sheets at my local hobby store for a bit more $. I may try them out one another kit. I've started the putty method and its working pretty well so far.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 11:29 AM UTC
Heck, for the price of Cavalier sheets at my local shop, I could buy several modern Tamiya armor kits with PE! I wish the Italeri German accessories set was more plentiful. Zimmerit's thick, but usable.
KMM
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 11:44 AM UTC
Sabot, do you know exactly which Italeri kits come with the Zimmerit sheets? I've heard a Panther and a Tiger. I'd really like to try one, but can't figure out which ones have the zim as it doesn't appear to be marked on the box.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 07:20 PM UTC
The Zimmerit set comes with Italeri's German Tank Accessories WWII kit #424. They have two Tigers out, one with and one without zimmerit. The "late" one comes with zimmerit premolded into the sides. I have the early one which is smooth, but have the Military Model Preview which does a review of the zimmerited "late" one. I have the Panther A (#270) but have not cracked it open to see if it contains zimmerit sheets.
KMM
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 06:19 AM UTC
I'm pretty sure that the panther kit comes with the zimmerit sheets. How is the Tiger kit witht he molded-on zimmerit? I really need a zimmed tiger and panther.
DerFeind
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 12 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2002 - 04:29 AM UTC
I just finished the "zimmerit Tiger" from Italeri (model #293). Two things to know about that kit is:
1. The zimmerit is too thick to scale so a lil' bit of surface sanding is required
2. The turret zimmerit is seperate. Glue it on and WAIT TWO DAYS or it WILL pop off

Other then that it's a "good" kit. I made it for a "closed-turret" Tiger and I'm working on an Academy Tiger w/ Interior now, both for a diaroma. Wish me luck ! lol

[email protected]
 _GOTOTOP