_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Help! PZIV D Tamiya
Desert-Fox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 652 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2002 - 07:06 AM UTC
Looking for advice about any problems with this kit. Anyone built it recently ?....is it any good?
I intend to build an Afrika Korps version to be towed by the FAMO.
Any help appreciated.
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2002 - 07:21 AM UTC
Martin,
I built this a couple of years ago. No particular problem sticks in my mind. It is still the only model available of the PzIVD. Builds up quite nicely, just don't forget to fill in the holes in the hull bottom and on the sides.
Be sure to post pictures when you are done.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2002 - 07:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Martin,
I built this a couple of years ago. No particular problem sticks in my mind. It is still the only model available of the PzIVD. Builds up quite nicely, just don't forget to fill in the holes in the hull bottom and on the sides.
Be sure to post pictures when you are done.

Ron--where have you been? Good to see you back hitting home runs.
DJ
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2002 - 04:02 PM UTC
Hey Desert Fox,
I have built the Tamiya Panzer IV D many times and personally it is a great kit. Every time I build one for a contest, right out of the box, I place no less than 3rd.
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 04:57 AM UTC
Ron--where have you been? Good to see you back hitting home runs.
DJ.
How have you been?

I'm just lurking and reading the posts. Only replying if I have something to contribute..... Don't want to be accused of posting for rank.....LOL...
(like this one........)
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 07:39 AM UTC
Tamiya's panzerIV d is the only game in town for now but,if you want to make it right you have alot of work in front of you ..First off the dimensions of the kit are off a bit ...(I'm not that picky) Next the drive train is pretty well useless ...The sprocket is too wide for the 36 cm tracks that were on the D model...The road wheels are too skinny and the tracks are the late type found on the J model.Also the transmission housing is that of the H or J model. Other than that off the top of my head I know there is a strap missing around the gun barrel that holds the antenna gard in place. Other than that the kit shows its age ,but as the others say ...it looks good..and that is what counts!! Have fun with it!

Richard Craig (no relation )
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 07:52 AM UTC
What modifications would be necessary to change the DML PzIVF-1 into an Ausf D?

Nic
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 08:55 AM UTC
Quite a few things would have to be change to back date the F to a D ..mainly the shape of the turret is different .and also the front of the hull where the machine gun is is completly different too .. hth
Richard
barron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 598 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 09:01 AM UTC
The tamiya Panzer IVD is a great kit. steel on Target
Quoted Text

put quote text here

Quoted Text

put quote text here

Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 09:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quite a few things would have to be change to back date the F to a D ..mainly the shape of the turret is different .and also the front of the hull where the machine gun is is completly different too .. hth
Richard

Thanks, Richard. I was just asking out of curiousity. I don't actually have a PzIV kit, even though it's one of my favorite tanks, especially the early war short barrelled versions. I had read about the front hull difference before, but didn't know about the turret. What I am wondering is if kitbashing the DML PzIVF-1 with the Tamiya PzIVD would help make the Tamiya kit better.

Nic
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 03:18 AM UTC
Hi Nic ...Don't think the F1 would really help much as I said before the turret changed completly from the D ...The tracks are the 40 cm type the drive sprocket is different as are the road wheel hubs(can't remember if tamiyas centers are separate if so they could be used with these road wheels)Even Dragon made a mistake on thier early panzerIV's the transmission housing is wrong .The closest to being right is Italeri's ..I know there is also a set out there in resin to correct this. I guess you could use this kit for some of the tools and stuff ,but the tamiya pzrIV on vehicle tool set is much better...To see how to really do it right ..go take a look at Kunihito's panzerIV it is worth the look and his other stuff is amazing too. The adress is...
http://village.infoweb.ne.jp/~fwge2272/home.htm

Richard
Desert-Fox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 652 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 03:47 AM UTC
Thanks for the advice and support guys. As noted, i will of course post pictures of this and the FAMO when my wife gets the digital camera for xmas..lol
 _GOTOTOP