Q: re barrel length of the tiger 1
TAG01
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 10:25 PM UTC
Hi I am new to this forum
I have a 1/6th scale kit of a Tiger I from a company called FOA. It is a semi-scratchbuild kit that I have been working on. The barrel is constructed from sections of pvc piping. I've been using various references to modify an improve parts of this kit. I know that I will not be able to correct all of the issues, and will let some go, but there is one piece of information thus far that I cannot seem to find concrete info on. And that is the length of the barrel sections. some people I have spoke with mention that the barrel length directions the company FOA gives are wrong, but does not say what the correct length from section to section should be. the only physical 3-d reference I have is a 1/18th scale 21c tiger 1. I have come up with approximate lengths in my picture below:
Overall length (excluding muzzle brake and to where the 3rd section of the barrel overlaps to the mantlet is 21” approx? with the first section after the muzzle break being 10.5”, 2nd section 5.625” and third section 4.875”. The measurements in brackets are the measurements that I gleaned from the tiger1.info site, but they measure the entire barrel length (past the mantlet wall), but have an “unknown” in the final section length. So I cannot derive the final overall length using the Tiger1.info site. I have searched numerous sites that are really good for reference, but this one bit of info eludes me, as they all tend to measure the barrel as a length in calibres (which consequentially includes the length right up to the breech).
I realize that other components such as the muzzle brake itself, barrel rings, etc have questions of their own, but I was wondering if anyone has any info on this subject even if they had a smaller scale they could measure (I could do the conversion), could confirm my measurements (with their own tiger) or offer some corrections where they see that I am in err. I have included an image of my measurements to date and what measurements I am looking for from section to section. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Many thx!
Trevor

forgot to mention that these questionable measurements I have are for my tank at 1/6th scale. If anyone knows the actual 1/1 scale measurements that is what I am in most need of thanks. Trevor
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 02:56 AM UTC
You could get one of those 35th scale barrel replacements and do the math to convert the measurements to your scale. Another is to see if a 1 / 16th metal barrel is available from one of the aftermarket companies.
TAG01
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 10:07 AM UTC
Thanks Steve,
I'm really looking for someone to confirm my measurements as a second opinion.
I cannot find any reference on the actual 1:1 length of the barrel from mantlet to muzzle break. Going from 1:35th drawings and other scale references I get the figures below for my 1:6th scale version. At actual size my measurements are approximately 63" from muzzle break to the first separation. 34" from first separation to second and 29" from second separation to mantlet. The barrel than would measure approximately 10'6" (excluding any component of the mantlet or muzzle break;as well as the barrel threading that extends inside the muzzle brake). I am mostly looking for a second opinion to confirm my measurements with anyone who has reference listing to this, an accurate model in hand, etc.
Any information/clarification would be greatly appreciated.
regards,
Trevor
 _GOTOTOP