_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M-26 Pershing Hatch Seals
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2002 - 07:52 AM UTC
My good Buddy, Dagger, and I are working on a team building of the Tamiya M-26 Pershing. Beautiful kit by the way. Here is where we need your thoughts. We will probably leave the hatches open. What interior color should we put in the crew compartment and the interior of the hatches? Is there some way to fabricate a hatch seal and crash pad or should we just paint it flat black.
Danke, as always
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2002 - 11:22 AM UTC
You could probably glean some very useful info from one of the M26 links we have have here DJ, M26 Reference Links
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2002 - 01:54 PM UTC
The interior of the Pershing is gloss white, but the hatch interiors match the exterior colors. I'm going out to see a restored Pershing in-progress tomorrow afternoon, and I'll ask the mechanics about hatch seals and equipment. I relocated yesterday and am still quite disoriented. Can't upload digital pictures and such yet & using a friend's computer, so a written description if necessary will have to do.

Gunnie
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 12:56 AM UTC
Ken/Gunnie---many thanks. Gunnie can you tell me if I should you GS Surfacer 500 on the turret. And, if so, how should I apply it?
thanks
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 02:25 AM UTC
DJ,
Are you looking for some photographic assistance on the M-26??? I am heading back to the Home of Armor & Cavalry next week for that expressed purpose and would be glad to assist ... Ya know, us younger guys need to keep our elders in references if we can.
The Mr. Surfacer is easy to use – once you find it. Paint it on, let it set up a couple of seconds (30-45) then texture it with the brush. It would help to have some thinner (liquid glue, Isopropyl alcohol, lacquer thinner) to clean the brush or extend your working time. I use some kids craft brushes that I got at Michaels for $1.99 and throw them away after I finish using them...

LOL

John
sarge18
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 272 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 03:09 AM UTC
Mr. Charvat, I know if one asks nicely, they sometimes will allow a person to actually play some inside, on, etc, some of the vehicles. Mr. Lemons was is rumored to be very helpful.

As for the hatches, I would say same color as outside, and for the hatch seals, stretch some sprue, paint it black, and secure it in the proper location. That gives a sealish look to things, and it worked well for an Abrams I am tinkering on.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 05:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ken/Gunnie---many thanks. Gunnie can you tell me if I should you GS Surfacer 500 on the turret. And, if so, how should I apply it?
thanks

DJ - If you're using Tamiya's Pershing kit - then you won't need any additional texturing. The kit paints up nicely as is. Any more would just be too much for a nice scale effect.

Gunnie
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 07:42 AM UTC
Sarge,

Quoted Text

Mr. Charvat, I know if one asks nicely, they sometimes will allow a person to actually play some inside, on, etc, some of the vehicles. Mr. Lemons was is rumored to be very helpful.

I came from Ft Knox about 6 months ago and had the Patton Museum pretty much wired in for access but thanks for the suggestion all the same. He has helped me with getting access to some of the vehicles in the museum, the M4A3(75)W and the M48A3.

John
sarge18
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 272 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 08:05 AM UTC
Hmm. Friend of mine just got back from BNCOC, and had a chance to go and look at some of the ones in the back in storage. Then again, he did volunteer some time there before he went off to Korea.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 11:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The interior of the Pershing is gloss white, but the hatch interiors match the exterior colors. I'm going out to see a restored Pershing in-progress tomorrow afternoon, and I'll ask the mechanics about hatch seals and equipment. I relocated yesterday and am still quite disoriented. Can't upload digital pictures and such yet & using a friend's computer, so a written description if necessary will have to do.

Gunnie

DJ - the Pershing under restoration I viewed yesterday had freshly painted hatch interiors - but no seals in place yet. The original items, sitting in a box on the floor was badly worn black rubber. If I were going to replicate them for my model, I'd turn to black structural paint my wife uses in craft projects or painted Milliput.

Other's have already chimed in here on your question about GS 500 - so I didn't want to reiterate the same information.

Gunnie
 _GOTOTOP