Hosted by Darren Baker
Out of Scale?
Marineman25
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 75 posts
Armorama: 64 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 10:15 PM UTC
I recently got a building from Royal Models. On the box it looked ok, but when I put it next to a figure it seems out of scale. What do I do about this?
Heres some pics.

Thanks, Mike
Uruk-Hai
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 472 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 11:20 PM UTC
Not necessarly.

After the door there might be a few steps and the first floor is above ground level.

Use the windows height to determine where the floor is gonna go.

Cheers
Salvo
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
Armorama: 182 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 11:53 PM UTC
I would also frame in the door with some balsa or bass wood. That would help scale it down to size. The idea for steps and a floor is good as well. I think once you put some detail into it, that it will shape up pretty good.

Cheers,
Ryan
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 12:12 AM UTC
Depends on the location and type of building. Remember the really old European buildings had higher windows to allow archers to shoot out but impede attackers from getting in. Also large doors were a sign of wealth. Today everything is standardized.
Vic
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,697 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 01:49 AM UTC

As it stands, it does look out of scale to me.
Like has been sujested though, using steps to fill in the bottom of the doorway with a raised floor would work, you could damage the floor or collapse it on the right hand side to match the building damage.
kiwibelg
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 939 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 02:02 AM UTC
Hey,
This building could have a door going 3/4 high,and the rest filled with a window with coloured glass.As a house painter I've seen(and painted,1:1!) alot of those here in Belgium and also in The Netherlands.Poorer families not able to have afforded glass would have filled the area above the door with bricks.Alan is right,almost all of the buildings had higher ceilings and were designed for ventilation,hence the height of the ceilings of housing,churches and public buildings in the past;personally i think the scale is ok.
Cheers,Shay
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
KitMaker: 1,569 posts
Armorama: 1,385 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 02:36 AM UTC
A lot of the buildings in Chile until the 30īs had that kind of high door, so you can fill it with a wooden frame with glass or bricks to make it look better

Cheers
kiwibelg
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 939 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 03:21 AM UTC
Also the idea with the stairs would be great,just placed inside of the right entrance of the door ,that way the window wouldn't look so high.
cheers Shay
Marineman25
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 75 posts
Armorama: 64 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 06:47 PM UTC
Thanks guys... wow, lots of ideas to help the scale issue. Now that I understand the height of the doorway thing I think it'll work just fine. how many steps should I put on the inside? It came with outside steps, would this look Ok with the steps inside too? I like the window above the door idea. finally what kind of roof what this building have? I'm thinking of making a destroyed half in the ruble.

Mike
Uruk-Hai
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 472 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 07:24 PM UTC
Id suggest you start from the window to determine the floor level and then see how many steps that would be apropiate.

You could also use the stair supplied outside and thus fill the lower part of the door.
 _GOTOTOP