Hosted by Darren Baker
Castles and dungeons !
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 12:59 AM UTC
For x-mas, I decided to buy a set of f Hirstarts molds for junior. I tried their mail-order service and they arrived here in only a few days ! :-) :-) :-).

These molds are just perfect ! Not only the shape of bricks and decorations is very nice : the mold quality is really neat too. They are a bit more rigid than the silicone I use for modeling purposes, but they look a bit more durable. Secretly, I started casting them already to see what the end result looks like. The advantage is that you can make an endless collection of bricks with the same molds quite cheaply, as plaster is not too expensive. After that, I can learn junior how to paint and drybrush. He's only six, but since he spends much time looking over my shoulder with eager eyes when I'm modeling, I'm sure he's ready for it.
The website of hirstarts is interesting for other purposes too. Everyone interested in casting and making molds should have a look here. There are nice step-by-step instructions on how to do all this.
This stuff is not detailed enough to find a place in 1/35 dioramas, but very nice for kids, for wargaming, etc...

Jan
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 01:12 AM UTC
Jan,

I checked out that site. It's cool !

I hope that Eagle's Junior is ready for that too some day. Until then...... Heyhooo Weigh Anchor....Playmobil Pirates.... (Eagle himself loves the Playmobil pirates too..)
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 08:44 AM UTC
That looks very nice !
I should get one for my future children ! And maybe that waiting for them, I can just use this stuff a bit...
 _GOTOTOP