_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Poor man Rustall......
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 08:51 PM UTC
hi there!
It probably sounds weird , but have somebody heard about making your own Rustall?
I meam, a time ago I was looking for buying the Rustall system, and a friend of mine told me about making it. The recipe is very simple, just fill half a botle of paint with water and fullfill it with iron sponges (donīt know if itīs the correct word) itīs just the sponge most people use when cleaning the dishes after dinner . Then you set it aside for a couple of months (to the iron sponge rust..) so, you use the black juice to make the rust on your models.......Weird isnīt it? :-)
To get better results, paint a black background first...and believe me, it works!
Cheers!
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 09:19 PM UTC
Sounds like it could work Paulo. What color is the paint to start with? Black???
What I have done to get rust as a powder, much like the chalk pastels, is I found a rusty piece of metal from outdoors. I took a fine piece of sandpaper, 400 grit, and sanded the rust off the metal onto a clean piece of paper. I than used a "strainer" which was for paint straining, and just gathered the fine rust dust. Works very nicely!
If you add just a little bit of water or rubbing alcohol it'll spead nicely to add just that little bit of rust here and there.
Flowers
Visit this Community
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
KitMaker: 58 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 12:27 AM UTC
[I use the same concotion that Paulo uses, but replacing water by vinegar. Also, I leave some space for air (oxidant) and put a fair quty. of steel wool.
After, say, a couple of weeks, spill the liquid on a tray and let it evaporate. The resulting powder is pure iron oxide (Rust) that I mix with turpentine to apply]
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 12:35 AM UTC
Those spunges rust like hell ! I used one for a household job, and stored it wet. Next time I used it, it was all frusted and fell apart in my hands. I think it could even be used in a dry condition once it's rusted.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 12:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sounds like it could work Paulo. What color is the paint to start with? Black???
What I have done to get rust as a powder, much like the chalk pastels, is I found a rusty piece of metal from outdoors. I took a fine piece of sandpaper, 400 grit, and sanded the rust off the metal onto a clean piece of paper. I than used a "strainer" which was for paint straining, and just gathered the fine rust dust. Works very nicely!
If you add just a little bit of water or rubbing alcohol it'll spead nicely to add just that little bit of rust here and there.

Now there's the idea Kenc'! And you don't have to wait at all!
You're just full of good stuff, ain't ya?

Tread.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 12:39 AM UTC
Oops! Sorry, qouted the wrong guy! (was qouting you Kenc')
I'm such a bloody git!

Tread.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 01:31 AM UTC
But, Tread...you did. You "DID" quote me...Kenc...
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 03:11 AM UTC
Jeez, Kenc'. Thanks for pointing that out. Ya know, as my old Senior Drill Instructor used to say..." Boy, if your brains were gasoline, you wouldn't have enough to power a piss ant's motorcycle half way around a BB!"

It's those synapses of mine again.

Tread.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 06:55 AM UTC
Great idea guys. I am going to get some steel wool and try it out. I may try it with vinegar and water and see how each turns out as far as speed of rust, color changes, etc. Thanks for sharing the great idea guys.
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 10:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

[I use the same concotion that Paulo uses, but replacing water by vinegar. Also, I leave some space for air (oxidant) and put a fair quty. of steel wool.
After, say, a couple of weeks, spill the liquid on a tray and let it evaporate. The resulting powder is pure iron oxide (Rust) that I mix with turpentine to apply]

Well Iīve heard about using vinegar, but I didnīt give it a try. Maybe itīs time to try it out, since I gues itīll work faster than the water....
Cheers!
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 05:04 PM UTC
I was excited about this method so I got some steel wool today and started making some. I made 2 1oz. bottles with vinegar and 2 with water, just to see how they both work. I will keep this thread updated on the progress. Thanks for the idea guys, keep them coming! We beginers love them
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 08:41 AM UTC
For the record Kenc', I just tried your method for 'harvesting' rust again. It worked just great! And ya know what? It didn't take any time, water, vinegar, or Uranium 235? And it was available immediately ! Fancy that!...hint, hint,..nod,nod...

Tread.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 08:55 AM UTC
Uranium 235...lol, Tread

Tread, I made a full little paint bottle of that a couple of years ago. Lasts a super long time too. (Rust Dust, that is)You can even add just a little bit a water for about half an hour and get the same "slurry" as in the jar with all those chemicals...lol.

The only reason I came up with that is because I did'nt have any vinagar around (too lazy to go to the store).
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 09:50 AM UTC
Kenc'.

As was said in another thread "necessity is the mother of invention". Wait a minute...or was that Janis Joplin's band?...never mind, regressing again. Yeah, and no chemicals...you don't even need to wear a 'HazMat' suit!

Tread.

(this said with a spanish accent) "Chemicals....I don't need no stinking chemicals!"
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 12:49 PM UTC
I need some clearification please.

As I posted earlier I have started to make some of this rust (I don't have an old car on blocks in my front yard to pull rust off of )

Quoted Text

Then you set it aside for a couple of months (to the iron sponge rust..) so, you use the black juice to make the rust on your models.......Weird isnīt it?

How can tell when the process is completed, when it has all turned into black juice? The bottles with water are already producing black juice, is this what I am looking for or should I wait a while longer until it the steel wool is completely desolved?

Quoted Text

Is the liquid in this example (with vinegar) black also? And again, do I wait until the steel wool is completely desolved? Does the black turn to rust as soon as it dries?

thanks for the continued help guys. I will continue to keep this thread updated as I get more results
 _GOTOTOP