_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
BTR 80 AM Wheels
cardinal
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 469 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 04:21 AM UTC
Hi all. It's been a while since I last posted here anyway this is with regards to a problem that has developed with one of my unfinished models. I don't know if any of you guys have experienced this but the wheels of my 1/35 Zvesda BTR-80 seems to be melting. I know this sounds crazy but I started building this model about a year ago as my supposed entry to one of the campaigns here. I had to drop out of the campaign due to job related reasons & I left this build sitting in one corner of our house & lately I noticed that the wheels, the plastic hub & the rubber tires seems to have develop some kind of chemical reaction that made the plastic part melt. Does anybody know of any AM parts especially the wheels for this model? TIA.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 07:19 AM UTC
If the bare rubber and bare plastic are left touching eachother over a long period of time, this seems to happen. However, I had not heard of it happening with a Zvezda kit, only DML ones. SUpposedly the Zvezda wheels are a different compound; maybe not.

Anyhow, the only other alternative is to get some aftermarket wheels. There are a fair number of companies who make/sell them...
Logan
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 523 posts
Armorama: 400 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 03:49 AM UTC
HI

TMD did up a nice set err sets because they offer two types.

SP also does a set but feel TMD are the best.

Tom
cardinal
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 469 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 03:45 AM UTC
Thanks for the reply guys. I found a couple of sets from Model Point, actually made by Capitan resin conversions, but as of the present they're out of stock. Oh well, I'll probably just have to wait.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 03:54 AM UTC
Nice to see you back Alex...
Hope you stop in more often.
Are you in the Phillipines now, or back in NJ?
 _GOTOTOP