_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Modern Armor: Scorpion Chilean Marines
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
KitMaker: 1,569 posts
Armorama: 1,385 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 07:11 AM UTC
This will be my 2nd (and last) entry for this campaign, for once, Iīve been taking pics of the building process. It will be a Scorpion light tank of Chilean Marines during joint manouvers called "Huracan" (hurricane). Maybe in the future iīll make a dio with some of this subjects....the kit itīs the regular Scorpion from AFV, very nice to build OOB, but the chilean versions are modified (like almost all of our equipment, donīt fit to do OOB), so letīs do scratch (and kitbashing...)

Anyway, the chilean version has extra stowage boxes on the turret , different radio antennas, more tools around, an MAG on the turret roof......the radio antennas & the MG came from an Academy M113 Zelda (other one I had) that Iīll build as a chilean M113A1, so all the extra pieces are now in the spares box. The boxes were made of cardboard, just guessing the measures. ... Those things to place the amphibious kit are made with sprues, cut to the proper size to fit in.

Well, too many words, here are the pics

Hull

Turret

Almost ready

Be aware that Iīll put putty this weekend, because I run off of it....and of course, a proper sanding all around after it dries....

cheers and comments welcome!
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 08:22 AM UTC
Very nice! Never seen a vehicle like this, looks like a mix between a sherman/bradley/LAV!
what color will this be?
dexter059
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 09:00 AM UTC
Thanks Shain,

Iīll try to do something like this

The colors are similar to the MERDC, but only 3 of them....

Cheers
dexter059
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 09:03 AM UTC
the british used it as recce tank, but discarded them in the 90īs I think.....and the british used them in the Falklands too

cheers again
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 10:48 AM UTC
Wow Klaus. Yet another one coming out of your factory eh. Looks like you will be done with all your campaign commitements by the end of this month!

I too have never seen this tank before. Looking forward to see it painted.
dexter059
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 09:15 PM UTC
The campaign things itīs just a excuse for me to build models, a very good one indeed :-) :-) :-)

One thing that really surprise me Jeremy itīs that either you or Shain havenīt seen the Scorpion before, because the kit itīs almost 12 years old and the tank itself more than 30......

Cheers
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
Armorama: 969 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 01:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

the british used it as recce tank, but discarded them in the 90īs I think.....and the british used them in the Falklands too

cheers again

You are right the Scorpion was used as part of armoured recce squadrons alongside the Scimitar, I trained on both in the late 70's. However the 76mm low pressure gun which was first used on the Saladin armoured car was found to allow excessive fumes back into the turret which could it was thought possibly place crewmwn at risk of cancer or other respiratory diseases [Health and Safety], they therefore converted the vehicle to the Sabre in 1995 by retro fitting turrets from the decommissioned Fox Armoured Car with the 30mm Rarden Gun, prolonging the service life of the vehicle.

To the best of my knowlededge it was only the Scimitar that went to the Falklands with the Blues and Royals and was used to great effect even shooting down an Argentinian aircraft.

So somebody might like to warn the Chilean Military of the risks to their health.

John
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 03:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One thing that really surprise me Jeremy itīs that either you or Shain havenīt seen the Scorpion before, because the kit itīs almost 12 years old and the tank itself more than 30...

mind you though, i certainly dont claim to be an expert on the topic of tanks so me not having come across one of these tanks isnt really saying much as im sure there are heaps more tanks that are around which i dont know of.

To be honest, the only tanks i know of are the ones i use to support when i was in the combat engineers and the ones i watch on tv and read in books.
dexter059
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 03:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

To the best of my knowlededge it was only the Scimitar that went to the Falklands with the Blues and Royals and was used to great effect even shooting down an Argentinian aircraft.

Hi John...

Iīve read some books about the Falklands war, and they said that Scorpion and Scimitars were used in the Falklands, but about shooting down an aircraft, wow, I didnīt know that, thanks for the info, maybe you could talk a little about that

Quoted Text

mind you though, i certainly dont claim to be an expert on the topic of tanks so me not having come across one of these tanks isnt really saying much as im sure there are heaps more tanks that are around which i dont know of.

To be honest, the only tanks i know of are the ones i use to support when i was in the combat engineers and the ones i watch on tv and read in books.

Hi Jeremy...

Isnīt a bad thing that you didnīt know, my point goes that for once I know something that you guys from overseas didnīt :-) Sorry if I was missunderstood, Iīm not an expert either, just a navy man that love models (specialy Heidi Klum, but armor kits also.. :-) :-) )

Cheers to all
dexter059
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 03:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So somebody might like to warn the Chilean Military of the risks to their health.
John

Good call, I didnīt know anbout that problem. Iīll try to talk with a marine friend about that

cheers
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 01:23 PM UTC
Nice work Klaus,

I wasnt aware that Chile used the scorpion,

To those who havent heard of the tank, the scorpion is one part of the British combat vehicle reconnaisance (tracked) series - usually refered to as CVR(t).

2 scorpions and 2 scimitars (similar but with 30mm rarden cannon) and a samson recovery version were sent to the falklands. They were used in pairs of a scorpion and a scimitar, the scorpion firing HE at argentine positions and the scimitar firing 30mm at anything that still moved.

The vehicles have exceptionally good cross country mobility and low ground pressure, sometimes in the falklands the ground was so boggy a man would sink up to his knees in the peat but the CVR(t)s wouldnt even break the crust!

Klaus, The vehicle in the photo seems to have the original British army camo scheme, were they kept this way by chile?

Regards

Joe
dexter059
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 03:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work Klaus,

I wasnt aware that Chile used the scorpion,

Klaus, The vehicle in the photo seems to have the original British army camo scheme, were they kept this way by chile?

Thanks Joe, we received 12 in 1995, they are used for fire support in the Chilean Marines. Donīt know if the camo itīs the original, since they have indeed black and green , but also ocre. In fact, the colors are similar to the MERDC scheme, but with only 3 of them.

Cheers
jlmurc
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2006 - 12:01 AM UTC
Hi Klaus,

Yes I stand corrected, my info was from some training that I did and the instructor only mentioned the Scimitar as he had served on one of them, I have now seen that two Scorpians also went and were used in a fire support role using HESH in support of the assault on Mount Longden. There is also data that one of those was disabled after striking a mine.

The story about the downing of an Argentinian A4 Skyhawk was a claim made by the crew concerned after engaging it with the 30mm Rarden. Although not confirmed, I would say that it is a possibility, particularly as you can fire the Rarden in Burst mode and if you got a hit with either HE or APSE then it would most certainly hurt an aircraft.

The CVR (T) series always gave good service, which in my day had a really great burst of speed from the same 4.2litre engine that Jaguar used in the E-Type, although a little thirsty, which I am sure the current diesel engine has improved on. Are your local vehicles diesel or petrol?

I have the Scorpian and Scimitar in my stash along with the airwaves kits for the flotation screens,[Horrible to use near the Dorset Coast] 76mm ammo and bins from Accurate Armour.

Yours looks nice anyway and I thought that I might throw in a picture as well.

Loking forward to seeing more of your build.

John
dexter059
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2006 - 03:31 AM UTC
Hi John thanks for the info about the Scorpions....

Our Scorpions (I said ours because the Chilean Marines are part of the Navy, Iīm Navy, then are mine too :-) :-) ) use diesel engines, donīt know if was changed here or if they arrived with them....

I made a few calls and I know that the marines were aware of the fumes problem, and they have corrected it....they didnīt tell me how, but itīs solved somehow.....

Unfortunately, I cannot order from Accurate Armour, and aftermarket here are very scarce here in Chile, so scratch build itīs the choice.....

Cheers, this weekend Iīll do something more (like fill and sand )

Best Regards
dexter059
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 12:17 AM UTC
Ok guys, as promised, new update. The model was filled, sanded and I added the camo net to try something different.....and hide some hard to correct mistakes durring filling. The hatches has to be corrected, I realized today that I didnt do the complete work on it. The primer paint was made with some colorr simila to panzer gray, mixed at home, and then the green paint, also mixed at home.

Next step will be some effects, paint the rest of the camouflage scheme, make some effects with oils and detail work

Hope you like it comments welcome

cheers

jlmurc
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 12:50 AM UTC
Hi Klaus,
Looking good but may I make a small comment?

I wonder if you can allow a little more space between the Road Wheels and the tracks as there should be a little over a clenched fist space. It maybe the pictures but yours looks a little slack and need a little more grease pumped into the adjuster arm on the idler.

Hoping to see some more soon.

John
dexter059
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 01:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Klaus,
Looking good but may I make a small comment?

I wonder if you can allow a little more space between the Road Wheels and the tracks as there should be a little over a clenched fist space. It maybe the pictures but yours looks a little slack and need a little more grease pumped into the adjuster arm on the idler.

Hoping to see some more soon.

John

Wow, thanks man, but I think itīs a little late, the tracks are alredy fixed. Any way, some photos I have show the tracks that way...maybe next time, slowly improving my builds...

Thanks for your comments, cheers
jlmurc
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 01:11 AM UTC
Your welcome and I was sitting here imagining you going through your spares box for some arms with clenched fists. I can tell you that from experience in mud, mud and all manner of dirt that if the tracks are too slack....they tend to fly off. Mind you if doing neutral turns in sand or soft ground, you got a buildup behind the idler and threw them that way too, even on perfectly set tracks. A problem of Christie suspension.

John
dexter059
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 01:41 AM UTC
Nice John, every day you learn something new....thanks for the info, hope to correct that next model...

More progress sonn, cheers
dexter059
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 05:43 AM UTC
Another update (last ones were from 3 days ago), this was done today....camo paint done

cheers
dexter059
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 01:35 AM UTC
Ok boys new update....this is how it looks after oils, try to show it rusty and fithy, be kind itīs my first time experimenting this tecnique....

Cheers
dexter059
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 01:36 AM UTC
Oh, and now starts the detail painting....
comments welcome
jlmurc
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 03:02 AM UTC
Klaus now you are starting to really fly but please, please, please lose the rust that you have about the main bodywork as even your ones are made of aluminium like mine was.

Nice progress.

John
dexter059
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 04:55 AM UTC
Can you make it more clear please? Not THAT good in english, any tips are helpful...

thanks in advance
jlmurc
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 06:07 AM UTC
Sorry Klaus, yes using short cuts in language is naughty.

Hopefully you see my comments as helpful.

With regard to rust; The CVR[T] series of light armoured recce vehicles were designed to be lightweight, both for speed and in that they were considered airportable, the Royal Armoured Corps had its own parachute squadron until they were lost during cutbacks by the government.

With this in mind the vehicle was constructed in the main from aluminium, which was desaigned to protect it from ammunition up to 12.5 mm as well as affording protection from shell splinters etc.

My main 'helpful' comment is that I feel that you have used too much rust...as the vehicle is mainly aluminium the only rust would come from areas that were steel, such as the exhaust and the safety screen over it. The only areas otherwise that might show rust were the heads of bolts, the wheels and parts where they are mounted, or other fittings with steel in them. I must be truthful that I have never even really seen much of that, even in vehicles that have seen hard service in our wet and cold climate except in those areas such as wheels and the arms where paint had worn and around the springs on hatches etc.

I hope this helps as you are building a very business like model that brings happy memories to me.

Regards,

John
 _GOTOTOP