_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-72M1 questions
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,612 posts
Armorama: 449 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2002 - 05:34 PM UTC
Is the Tamiya T-72M1 kit an accurate kit?
What are the deficiencies of the kit, if any?
Any recommendations in fixing those deficiencies, if any?
Does Trumpeter have a T-72 kit, and if yes, how does it compare with Tamiya's?
How about DML T-72 - how does it fare?
Among the three, which would you choose to spend your money on?
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 02:25 AM UTC
Avoid the Trumpter T-72, it is a poor copy of the Tamiya kit.

The DML kits are OK, but when the top run of track is put on, the upper hull has difficulties fitting. I have all of the T-72s made by DML as well as the Kirin re-box of the Iraqi Lion of Babylon. There are also a few put out by Esci/AMT/Ertl (the T-72 and T-74). Both kits are identical, one with side skirts and were released prior to the Wall coming down and were based off of photos and not the real thing.

DML also has a T-80 series that is virtually identical and Kirin has re-boxed the T-72 in the Kuwaiti M-84 variant (Yugoslav T-72 modification). Both Kirin versions are long OOP and more collectors items.

I have the Tamiya kit and it is very nice. I do not like the fit of the turret, but can live with it. Do not waste your money on the Trumpter T-72. If you see DML variants, they should be cheaper than the Tamiya kit and are OK. If the store has them for the same price of the Tamiya kit, get the Tamiya one.
barron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 598 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 03:46 AM UTC
The turret on the Tamiya kit is more accurate in shape and size but for the money the Dml kit I think is just as good. I built one and took it to shows and won a couple of first place awards with it.
 _GOTOTOP