_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Question on battle damged zimmerite
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 03:19 AM UTC
On my Panzer IV H/J in 1/72nd scale I have my zimmerite shown as battle damaged. Does anyone know if I painted all the areas in the primmer red color everywhere I had the damaged zimmerite would that be overkill on the looks of the damaged zimmerite? I am talking in a worst case possibilty. I need some advice on how to paint damaged zimmerite correctly so that it does not look hideous.
SKurj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 235 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 03:55 AM UTC
ZImmerit was in 2 layers.. if the damage extends to both layers I think you might see more bare/rusty metal than primer. If the Zimm had peeled off.. mebbe then more primer. If just one layer of Zimm came off then a light grey colour (i believe) would represent the under layer of ZImm.

Martyn
ModelmakerBL
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 09:34 PM UTC
A little gray and primer red would look right.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 10:22 PM UTC
Solid primer everywhere would be overdoing it. I'd go with mostly gray and a touch of red
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 2,220 posts
Armorama: 1,707 posts
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2006 - 09:26 AM UTC
Sorry to disagree here, but all factory applied Zim went over Primer. If the zim would chip away, it would more likely be due to a weak bond between the zim and primer, than the primer and the steel. So I think the majority of chips should show red primer. Those that are not all the way through should be more a beige, kahki color than grey. Areas that have been chipped for awhile could be weathered differently, thus fade some of the primer more etc.

HTH
 _GOTOTOP