Glueing figures to plaster
Digger
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 94 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 01:13 PM UTC
Hi,

What glue is best for fixing plastice figures to plaster?

I'm trying to get a running figure to stand up - but alas he keeps wanting to die on me.

Kind regards
Digger
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 05:03 PM UTC
Hey Digger.....

What I have found that works the best for me is to take a needle or a pin and either drill a hole in the bottom of the figure's boot, and super glue the needle in the boot, or heating the needle and letting the heat of the needle melt its way in....cut the needle off to about a 1/8" to 1/4" inch and the exposed end of the needle should just be able to push into the plaster of the diorama.

This is what has worked for me....some other guys might have a better and easier way to do it!!

Scott
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 08:52 PM UTC
Epoxy glue should work, probably even CA... ?
When all else fails, I sometimes mix a drop of PU resin. It's not meant to be used as glue, but it does that very well. It only fails sometimes to glue polystyrene plastics.

FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 09:55 PM UTC
CA glue worked out quite well all the times that I used plaster
the CA glue also works very good on the Foam I started on working with the last months

This Were my two cents

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 01:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What glue is best for fixing plastice figures to plaster?

I have been using a brass rod to afix my figures to the base. I drill a hole into th foot/leg as far as is practical then drill through my base material into the block that acts as the display base. Super glue at either end of the rod and the figure is soilidly attached to the base. This works even with a horse supported on one leg and with plastic, resin or metla figures.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 05:00 AM UTC
I use a brass rod or a piece of sturdy hobby/craft wire. I drill up through the foot, knee, whatever is touching the base then down through the base.
I usually use epoxy or CA on the model side and epoxy on the base. To fill any space where there is contact between the base and figure I fill with white glue and reapply whatever weathering/ground cover I need.
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 02:36 PM UTC
I have to go along with the guy's who secure a thin metal pin, wire, or
needle into the bottom of the foot/boot with CA ( cyanoacrylate/super glue ).
I find it to be very secure and stable and probably the most common method for attaching figures to a diorama base. ....a pin vise is great for drilling the hole to attach the metal wire.

- ralph
Digger
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 94 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 04:52 PM UTC
Cheers and thanks everyone.

Kind regards
Digger
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2002 - 07:01 PM UTC
I usually insert about an inch of brass rod... this makes a handy "holder" while painting the figure. While it is drying, I insert the road into a board I have that holds all my figures until they are ready for mounting (my board looks like a crowded convention, there are so many figures!)/

When ready to affix to the plaster base, I clip the rod to the desired length, and then drill a matching hold in the plaster. I then apply a little C/A glue to the pin and put the figure into the hole. Have never lost a figure this way...
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 04:18 PM UTC
GREAT! :-) an aussie like me! what i have always used for glueing my figures to the dio is PVA glue, you should know what that is right, ya can buy it from mitre 1o digger, and its cheap to, cheers
 _GOTOTOP